Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lures From The Delta Bank?

Man, what is that smell??? Ah yes, it's a skunk! That's what happened to me today! I got skunked!

I bought two lures today at Bass Pro, both Bass Pro branded because I'm a bit low on cash these days:

- XPS Rattle Shad, chrome and blue, 2 3/4 inch, 1/2 oz

- XPS Floating Minnow Jerk Bait, chrome and black, 4 5/8 inch, 1/2 oz. Big one.

Each lure was $3.99.

Wind was blowing hard right at me. This didn't affect the casts too much, and they casted very far, but the jerk bait floated back toward me almost as fast as I could reel it back.

I tried the Rattle Shad first. Seems decent but the water is really shallow there and I was either dragging it in the muddy bottom, or reeling so fast to keep it off the bottom that a fish would have to really want it to be able to catch it. I gave that up pretty quick due to the the shallow water. Would be nice from a boat.

Why do they design these so the lure is swimming at such an unnatural angle (nose down)?

Next was the floating Jerk Bait. I went with the floater because I read that the suspended XPS ones didn't suspend well and many sank like a rock. I liked the action a lot and it seems like an all around good lure. Not sure about the strength of the hooks, and they weren't very sharp. Didn't matter today though ;)

The wind kinda ruined it I think, as well as a boat that came 25 feet from shore. These guys parked on shore about 50 yards away for 20 minutes, saw me fishing the entire time, then took off and went directly in front of me. Braaaaaaap!!!!! Gee thanks guys. It was really bad.

Didn't matter today. I saw no fish jumping which is unusual. No birds looking for food. It was dead. Never seen it that quiet.

BUUUT, I fished and that is good! I used a jerk bait for the first time and played around with that. And I wanted both of these lures for the lakes too, especially the rattle, so that's cool.

Not a good day to fish really I think but I'm glad I did. I don't really care what the moon, barometer and planetary alignments tell me, if I want to fish, I fish. But it was all against me today.

Thanks again for the tips!

How would you use scent on these lures, if at all? I tried it a few times. Seemed like it lasted a few casts maybe. Do you let it dry on there?
    Last edited by schplurg; 09-15-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! Was gone for a day so just saw these posts. I will try all of it!

A bigger popper would be nice for casting from the bank. Gonna buy myself a few new lures now. I'd like to pick up one per week and build my arsenal and I've skipped some weeks so gotta make up for that! Counting my pennies (almost literally right now).

It amazes me how strong these stripers are. "Oh here's a good one, he's fightin'...oh wait, it's only 10 inches! What the...?" I guess when you have no arms or legs you make up for it with strong...whatever. Hips? LOL.

I will update after I fish again.

Post Thanks / Like

When i lure the delta i like the 1oz rat l trap blue/chrome, sp minnow red head white body and s wave in rainbow trout. Those 3 are killers
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

4. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget about metal lures! My go to lure is a 1 oz buck-tail silver Kastmaster. Gives me long distance casts and it's reliable. Shad is a good scent to use. Berkley sells a spray bottle that is easy to touch up the lure while fishing.

6. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posts. A couple to add which you already tried is a topwater during low light. Doesn't have to be a fancy one. Pencil Poppers can cast a long way and work.

Swim baits, same thing and you can mess with weight and retrieve speed if weeds get to be a limiting factor.

Last thought. I tend to do better when I pick one and stick with it. Less time changing lures, more casts picking a piece of water apart. Notice I say I tend to do better, not that I actually have the discipline to do it all the time.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 09-12-2018 at 06:40 PM.

8. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i've done well throwing a chrome/black lipless crank...like a rat-l-trap for stripers, its a good search bait

10. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should use a jerk bait. Cast it out, retrieve it with a couple of turns so the lure can swim to the correct depth, jerk the lure two to three times, then pause for three to four seconds. Reel in the slack line, then repeat the process. If striped bass are there, they will bite or slap the jerk bait.

12. Likes schplurg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lures From The Delta Bank?

Just curious if anyone has advice on bank fishing for stripers using lures. I normally use frozen anchovies but thought I'd try something different. Could use a break from lugging my small ice chest around.

I usually fish the San Joaquin River in the Lathrop/Mossdale area. I have a few scents as well which are many years old but they still stink like crazy. I've never used scents and I've only been fishing 6 months or so.

Last week I went near sundown and threw a spinner (white and a little chartreuse), a popper and a shallow crank but I was just goofing around. Didn't get a nibble.

I was halfway hoping I'd catch some black bass as well but no cigar.

I did catch two large bags of garbage, as in the cups and food containers were already in bags but left 150 feet from the garbage can that everyone must pass when they leave. I just don't get people that leave their crap laying around like that.

Anyways, I have some crack craws and stick worms - not a large selection of tackle yet - plus a few cranks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12