Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB Looking to purchase a jet boat

Take a drive to Sutter marine in Yuba city and ask them what your options are. I went with a Lowe1652 but in hindsight should have gone a bit bigger
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Post Thanks / Like

Been in your situation. Used to have a 21' Fishrite. Best toy I've ever had, but it burned gas and only needed the jet 10% of the times I used it. Great memories, but spendy ones. Had to sell it for family reasons.

Been looking at older Bass Trackers or similar. Not the machine the Fishrite was, but fairly flat bottom and enough boat to run the Sac and Feather (except outlet hole). Some outboards allow a swap of jet to prop, to get the best of both. JD Richey has a couple articles online you might look up on the subject.

Enjoy, looking for the next boat is as fun as using it.

Post Thanks / Like

I second LineStrecher's post. Years ago I had a Johnson 75 hp with jet on a 17' boat and it had a difficult time with two people getting on plane due to hp loss with jet. The last boat I sold was a 18' Fish Rite with Ford 302 jet drive..would get on plane the minute you throttle up with max speed of 52 mph. I sold it for $12k. If you are patient you should be able to find a deal, but this is not the time of year, when salmon and striper season is beginning. Good luck with your search.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Went through this with friend. A 16 is going to be limited to 70hp max usually. You loose 1/3 of your hp when you slap the pump on it. His 16 with a 60 merc would barely get on plane with two people and gear. Putting the pump on your sons boat sounds like the better option since the 90's tend to produce better torque. Your boat might sound like a good option but with your deeper V hull it would not be a good jet candidate. See if you can find a used Jetcraft outboard that has the delta pad. They are probably the most efficient outboard hull design when converted to Jet. Any of the Falcon series will get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

WTB Looking to purchase a jet boat

We are looking for a jet boat for the rivers. I have a couple on Craigslist that I am going to look at but thought I might ask here just in case someone is thinking about selling.
    We want 16-18' aluminum with an outboard jet. We would like a 4 stroke but a really nice 2 stroke is a possibility. Just to give you an idea the ones I have been looking at are anywhere from $6500 to $10,000. Need to keep it under 10,000 if possible.

One other wild idea would be to install a jet pump on my 115 Merc 4 stroke. It is a 2006 with a Yamaha manufactured power head. I am not sure I want to change my existing motor because it would not perform as well on the lakes with a jet but we are at least thinking about it.

Another possibility would be to install a jet outboard on my son's boat and that would need to be at least a 60 horse and bigger would be better. His hull is rated at 90hp. He currently has a 1991 70 hp Johnson Seahorse on it. If anyone has a lower jet pump for that Johnson laying around that would be another option.