Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sturgeon in Montezuma around Beldons

Quote Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
    ...If you want company, let me know and I'll fish the area in FlyWright. You can come by for a lunch stop or a bathroom break.
    Thx so much for the offer. The problem is that I sold all my Tiger Ugly Stik Sturgeon rods and Penn reels years ago so don't have any Sturgeon gear. I'll search craigslist and other forums for used gear for them. Hate to buy new then if they don't take a liking to Sturgeon fishing that'll be waste of money.
    As for rigging, I'm sure lots have changed so will have to bone up on that and the regs.
    BTW, Crab season is rapidly approaching and if I remember right, your family loves eating them so you have an open seat anytime you're available. PM me your number to let you know.
    Last edited by Seon; 09-18-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Thx for wandering with your report.

My two grand daughter who I took Rock fishing yesterday are hooked and asked if I'd take them Sturgeon fishing. I haven't fish Sturgeon for many years so will take them but I'll just be the "net boy" and won't fish.
    Great to hear you're getting back in the sturgeon game, Seon! I bet you'll be rehooked once your granddaughters hook into some nice fish! Might as well get a sturgeon tag and bring an extra rod for yourself, just in case!

If you want company, let me know and I'll fish the area in FlyWright. You can come by for a lunch stop or a bathroom break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semut View Post
    Figured I'd wander of here and let y'all know about it
    Thx for wandering with your report.

My two grand daughter who I took Rock fishing yesterday are hooked and asked if I'd take them Sturgeon fishing. I haven't fish Sturgeon for many years so will take them but I'll just be the "net boy" and won't fish.

Here's their first Rock fish caught yesterday at Bodega Bay.

4. Likes LONO100, pointemdown, Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw your post in the striper section; I am not much help there. I will say this is an example of what people are talking about when they refer to baits that both sturgeon and striper like. E.g pile worms grass shrimp, eel etc. I have spent many hours on a boat around the power lines, in Monty and all around there and have had some good results when using "combo" baits. May I suggest fishing Sherman Island area, towards the power lines. Again, I only have boating as my reference point, but plenty of fish are caught off the shore there.
    BTW, Cal wrote a great book on fishing the delta that I have referenced multiple times for good info. bassjack.com, is also a wealth of information.
    Best of luck to you! For me, the learning curve is half the fun.
    Last edited by kromebrite; 09-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    Gratitude

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semut View Post
    Some guy in a boat was showing off a good ~30-35" sturgeon he caught today up in Montezuma (I was around red barn and he was coming from Beldon). He said he caught it with grass shrimp

Sure hope he wasn't keeping a 30-35" sturgeon. Min keeper size is 40".

I was fishing Monte last week and got a 40-45 incher that was tail wrapped and lost him 20 ft from the boat when his scoot cut the 65# braid.

Many more fish were marking in Suisun Bay than in Monte below the bridge. Never made it up as far as Beldens Landing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sturgeon in Montezuma around Beldons

Some guy in a boat was showing off a good ~30-35" sturgeon he caught today up in Montezuma (I was around red barn and he was coming from Beldon). He said he caught it with grass shrimp