Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fish Trap Colors for Fall

We could not break the 18 inch mark. Probably caught 30 but nothing of size. Also my buddy's boat ended up having some issues. Fuel leak somewhere. Will probably be out on my boat next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Was out on Saturday and hammered them in the western section of the delta. Fished flats with visible current. Used 4.5 - 5" white or pearl colored swimbaits (big hammer, fish traps and Keitech) with the tail dipped in chartreuse. I heard they don't make fish traps any longer but I still had a couple. I find the keithechs work great now while the water is warmer but i like the tighter wiggle of the fish traps and big hammers when the water cools down. While the swimbaits were working really well, a lot of the fish were nipping the tails or knocking slack in the line and i could not keep up with them on the bite. Switched to a 1/2 oz chromr/blue rat-l-trap and they would just about rip the pole out of your hand. Azaming how much different the bite was between the lures. Ended the day with somewhere between 50-60 fish. Nothing huge, got on a couple schools of 22 - 25". Only had 3 under 18". Great day on bass gear/12lb floro awesome little drag pullers.

3. Likes RideNfish, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

make sure to get a couple packs of 2-3x hooks if you buy rat L traps. if i could have only one lure for the delta, it would be the rat L trap, but one big time stripe, or even running into a school of small shakers can bend out those stock hooks real quick. my laziness in changing hooks before a trip has taught me that lesson.

5. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent off to the tackle store. Hopefully we get on them tomorrow. Trying to fish west bank but will see how the wind cooperates.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    Thanks. So when they refer to traps they are referring to rigging with a trailer stinger as in this link. http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/basics.htm Shad color?
    The trap rigging is more for saltwater fishing.

All you really need for stripers is a standard 1/2oz-3/4oz jig head and a white swimbait tail. Very simple.

I've tried all colors from shad, trout, sardine, etc... White always works, in all water conditions.

If you're reading other reports that are mentioning fishing with "traps", yes they may be referring to rattletraps. In that case, white, chrome/blue and craw are standard colors for striper.

Hope this helps.
    DELTA WOOD BOMBERS PRO STAFF

8. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. So when they refer to traps they are referring to rigging with a trailer stinger as in this link. http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/basics.htm Shad color?

Post Thanks / Like

Fish traps are swimbaits. Like a big hammer swimbait etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Trap Colors for Fall

Hey all,
    I saw that there has been good action on "fish traps" for stripers. I am assuming they are the same thing as rattle traps? Also what colors are best here in fall? I am assuming shad based colors? Let me know if my assumptions are correct.
    Thanks
    DB