Post Thanks / Like

Re: So what happened with the derby?

Snowtrout, thanks for the 411.

I intended to enter but decided not to because my two grandkids drove from the east bay and would have had to leave home by 2 a.m.

Just as well because as I posted in another thread, my trolling motor's prop fell off about 10 am then the wind picked up so we saved some $$$ entry fees.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

So what happened with the derby?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    We were there but not entered in the derby (last minute decision since our original plan was to fish Sunday but big winds changed that). Lots of boats out, both jigging and trolling. Wind started up around 12 and was blowing good from the NNW by 3. Some had 1, some had 2, very few had limits, and a lot had nada. We heard 1st place was at 23lbs. At 3, when we loaded up, many people were hanging around for the prizes while drinking their beverage of choice.

My wife caught a 24, her new PB, and a 13. We jigged and jigged for only her big fish. They were there but disappeared when the tide changed and the weeds rolled in. Trolled for one hour and got the 13 within 3 minutes of letting the lines out. Side note, had a guy threaten to call a warden on us since we had two and were still fishing. He didn't realize the Moke had different limits. Another boat jigging nearby, confirmed to them what we said as we just trolled by, leading to a discussion between those boats. Good to know people want to follow the rules, just need to know the specifics for each location.

Hopefully BigK or someone else will chime in for more derby details.
    Dang, I figured I’d need at least a 20 lber to place in the money. Glad I wasn’t the only one struggling to put them in the boat. Always next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We were there but not entered in the derby (last minute decision since our original plan was to fish Sunday but big winds changed that). Lots of boats out, both jigging and trolling. Wind started up around 12 and was blowing good from the NNW by 3. Some had 1, some had 2, very few had limits, and a lot had nada. We heard 1st place was at 23lbs. At 3, when we loaded up, many people were hanging around for the prizes while drinking their beverage of choice.

My wife caught a 24, her new PB, and a 13. We jigged and jigged for only her big fish. They were there but disappeared when the tide changed and the weeds rolled in. Trolled for one hour and got the 13 within 3 minutes of letting the lines out. Side note, had a guy threaten to call a warden on us since we had two and were still fishing. He didn't realize the Moke had different limits. Another boat jigging nearby, confirmed to them what we said as we just trolled by, leading to a discussion between those boats. Good to know people want to follow the rules, just need to know the specifics for each location.

Hopefully BigK or someone else will chime in for more derby details.

4. Likes BarnacleL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Looked windy down there watching the weather up here in Truckee. Expected to see a bunch of photos. What happened?
    I entered the derby and lost two fish at the boat. So I didn’t enter any fish to weigh. Slim pickins on the delta for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I asked the same question.

23.5' Duckworth Navigator Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

So what happened with the derby?

Looked windy down there watching the weather up here in Truckee. Expected to see a bunch of photos. What happened?