Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: American tips / advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    How is the store bought stuff?
    Iíve used the Kevin Brock stuff from sportsmanís warehouse before and itís ok. I think hands down the best bait you can buy is Nates Bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Seeker View Post
    I fish it from the bank as well, egg loop not is the way to go. The night before, take your roe out, cut it into fishable pieces and let it dry for a little bit. I use an old window screen. Let it dry until itís a gummy bear texture and/or ad some borax to it as well. Dynamite. Iíll start fishing roe on the AR next week

Spawn sacs work well too. Hook through. Hold with an egg loop. Add a puff ball and maybe a Bait Button to hold in place on the hook. Itís good for more casts and keeps color on the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the store bought stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

I fish it from the bank as well, egg loop not is the way to go. The night before, take your roe out, cut it into fishable pieces and let it dry for a little bit. I use an old window screen. Let it dry until itís a gummy bear texture and/or ad some borax to it as well. Dynamite. Iíll start fishing roe on the AR next week

5. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Seeker View Post
    roe is the ticket on the AR, I think it out fishes pretty much everything

I used roe once. Couldnít keep it on the hook more then 2-3 casts and got tired of baiting my hook all the time. I am sure if I was in a drift boat it would be great and maybe if I learned how to tie it on better I would have better luck but I am stuck in my old ways

Post Thanks / Like

roe is the ticket on the AR, I think it out fishes pretty much everything

8. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of info thanks. I used to fish the river when I was in college a lot (15-20 years ago) and I hear the returns are pretty bad these days compared to when I used to fish it.

question about using lil Cleo’s / daredevils and the like. Do you toss them and retrieve or do you fish them like you would for steelhead and drift them bouncing the bottom?

Correct about returns, it was really good 15 yrs ago. I took today off and fished the Sac this morning. It's been dead off the bank the past 5 days, kinda strange, also less bank anglers around the Sac area. Maybe a fish here and there. Heard a big one was caught at the Minnow hole Sat. I did net a nice 20lb hen elsewhere on Tues., I got the roe. I heard a boat caught one near the Yacht club this morning. I see lots of boats everywhere. The brickyard past the Minnow hole had boat traffic but didn't see nets in the water. I'm not sure about boats at Freeport? Ocean reports past week, easy limits to Bodega. Today 1 fish per rod, probably late fall run salmon. I got 4 to 5 salmon the first 10-12 days of Nov the past 2 yrs, chrome 10-15lb fish, probably late fall run salmon.

I'll keep fishing until rains muddy up the water in Nov., then game over. The American should be good late Oct to late Nov. See the regs and for barbless section. I went to the hatchery after fishing this morning about 11 am. Saw some fisherman leave w/no fish. Talked to a couple guys, they said one steelhead caught and hardly saw salmon, only a few fall run salmon that have turned color. I know some nice salmon are being caught up and down the river there. It should pickup soon with new salmon coming in. I walked from the weir to the rapids and saw no salmon rolling or jumping, looked slow. Saw some in the basin jumping and turkey vultures on the shore next to the weir eating. Nov. 2 they open the gates. On a chart in the visitor center, it has the runs very good around '03 then way down to the closure years and spiked a bit in '13, now down again.

As far as the Little Cleo's, toss them and let it drift a bit in the current at first. Wait until you feel the tension from the current making a fluttering action, giving it the wobbling action needed to attract a salmon to strike. That's the main action, then retrieve the slack like a spinner which gives it action too. You're not bouncing the bottom. The 2/5's or 3/4 oz Cleo's half chrome/blue are good for salmon, 1/3 oz same colors Cleo's for steelhead. Here's a youtube of an angler fishing with a spoon similar to a Little Cleo for steelhead. Good Luck!.......https://youtu.be/0djjGcKiiBI
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.

10. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark1 provided some solid information.

Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of info thanks. I used to fish the river when I was in college a lot (15-20 years ago) and I hear the returns are pretty bad these days compared to when I used to fish it.

question about using lil Cleoís / daredevils and the like. Do you toss them and retrieve or do you fish them like you would for steelhead and drift them bouncing the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to hit the American this weekend. What size spinners and spoons do you guys use for salmon? I know there are not a lot of fish in the system but I have a free day or hall pass from the wife so I want to get out.

Was thinking Sailors or Rossmore but might head down river around Sac State (not sure what that access is called) where I can still use barbs and trebles on the lures.

im not a bead guy. Never had much luck on them anyways

You can use spinners like Blue Fox #4 and #5's in chartreuse/chrome blade. #5's are mainly used in the Sac with Flying C's which may be too heavy. #4's are smaller and can be used in the American since the water is very clear. The bigger #5's can be used too, you may catch steelhead w/#4's. The #3's is more for steelhead. Then the spoons like Krocodiles, Little Cleo's 2/5 to 3/4 oz in chrome/blue color combo is good for salmon and 1/3 oz for steelhead. Go to Fisherman's Warehouse and speak to Alan Fong or someone and they'll hook you up with these lures. Also a 8.5 to 9.5 foot med action pole, have drag set so you can pull line out easy by hand, don't horse in the fish. You can use 12lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid main line and a 17lb Florocarbon leader which is a must on the clear American, something like that. If you want to float fish get a longer pole 10-12 foot and same line or yellow float line with a bobber and split shot on leader to a Marabou pink/purple yarn jigs also sand shrimp and roe will work for salmon. 6 foot max leaders now, 1 salmon per day, barbless from the hatchery to Ancil Hoffman park powerlines and barbed from there to Discovery. Trebles can be used if barbless in the upper section. Get a $50 yearly parking pass for the American or $5 per trip. You can fish Sailors bar, Rossmoor, River Bend rapids, Gristmill and Harrington is the same location, Harrington on the north off Fair Oaks Blvd is mostly used for bank fishing, Gristmill on the south from Bradshaw, Watt ave. Then the Sac State rapid area about 1/2 mile down from the Jst street bridge. The access is Glen Hall Park on Carlson Dr. Park there, go up the levee, turn right go about 300 yards, you'll see rapids, paradise beach is off to the left, no rapids there. River Bend to Discovery with barbed hooks is ok. Oct. 31 the river closes from Hazel to Ancil Hoffman power lines, then from there to Jibboom St. only from Nov. 1 to Dec. 31.

This is the Fishing Supplemental Regs for the American....sec.(5) American River (Sacramento Co.) (A) From Nimbus Dam to the the U.S.Geological Survey gauging station cable crossing about 300 yards downstream from the Nimbus Hatchery fish rack site. Closed to all fishing all year.

(B) From the U.S. Geological Survey gauging station cable crossing about 300 yards down-stream from the Nimbus Hatchery fish rack site to the SMUD power line crossing at the southwest boundary of Ancil Hoffman Park. Jan. 1 through July 15. Only barbless hooks may be used. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. July 16 through Oct. 31. Only barbless hooks may be used. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. 1 Chinook Salmon 2 Chinook Salmon in poss.
    (C) From the SMUD power line crossing at the southwest boundary of Ancil Hoffman Park downstream to the Jibboom Street bridge. Jan. 1 through July 15. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. July 16 through Dec. 31. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. 1 Chinook Salmon 2 Chinook Salmon in possession.
    (D) From the Jibboom Street bridge to the mouth. Jan. 1 through July 15. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. July 16 through Dec. 16. 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession. 1 Chinook Salmon 2 Chinook Salmon in possession.. Dec. 17 through Dec. 31 2 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead**4 hatchery trout or hatchery steelhead** in possession.
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-11-2018 at 05:33 PM.

14. Likes natemeister liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast