Thread: Sardines

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sardines

This worked out great Thank you....Stocked up on a bunch!
    I thawed one out and tested the fillet and it was excellent.
    Cheers!

Your welcome, Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    For years a local bait and tackle store in town has advertised fresh quality sardines for kwikfish. It's Sacramento Pro Tackle at 2390-Northgate blvd. a block south of W. El Camino. They have quality trays in small and large sardines. The large are used for salmon fishing on kwikfish from Umpqua Bait Inc. in Winchester, Oregon. They're $8.99 a dozen for the large and they're choice quality. They sell fast but he has some now in stock. These are better than the frozen ones the asian stores or local bait-n-tackle stores sell in the frozen section. He also sells other quality sardines...Pre-cut or fillet the sardines the night before using a sharp fillet knife then brine them in a salt solution to firm them up. That way in the morning you're good to go and ready to fish with quality firm sardine wraps that will probably land you more salmon hopefully. Here's a short youtube of a salmon guide showing him brining his sardines the night before. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/vf_vrX2JFxI

This worked out great Thank you....Stocked up on a bunch!

I thawed one out and tested the fillet and it was excellent.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

I always had good luck at Sportsmand Warehouse on Sunrise. I buy them to take out on party boats for lings. It’s been 3-4 months since I bought any but they were always pretty firm once thawed out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Does anyone know where a guy can get half decent sardines right now?

I have bought several bags of frozen stuff from different stores and they are all much when they thaw.

Any ideas?

Thank

For years a local bait and tackle store in town has advertised fresh quality sardines for kwikfish. It's Sacramento Pro Tackle at 2390-Northgate blvd. a block south of W. El Camino. They have quality trays in small and large sardines. The large are used for salmon fishing on kwikfish from Umpqua Bait Inc. in Winchester, Oregon. They're $8.99 a dozen for the large and they're choice quality. They sell fast but he has some now in stock. These are better than the frozen ones the asian stores or local bait-n-tackle stores sell in the frozen section. He also sells other quality sardines...Pre-cut or fillet the sardines the night before using a sharp fillet knife then brine them in a salt solution to firm them up. That way in the morning you're good to go and ready to fish with quality firm sardine wraps that will probably land you more salmon hopefully. Here's a short youtube of a salmon guide showing him brining his sardines the night before. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/vf_vrX2JFxI
    Last edited by Mark1; 10-12-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Salt 'em. They'll be much firmer. :)
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

6. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In assuming you are using for filets on your kwickfish like me (?)......
    With the lack of local (firm fresh) sardines the last couple of years, even from the Asian supermarkets, there has been a drop in quality sardines. I let thaw out for about an hour or being "1/2 way thawed out", I then cut (very sharp knife) my filets and brine/cure right away to help firm them up...... & keep frozen water bottle in my bait box to keep cold on boat when ready to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Sardines

Does anyone know where a guy can get half decent sardines right now?

I have bought several bags of frozen stuff from different stores and they are all much when they thaw.

Any ideas?

Thank