Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thought I'd go after Salmon - couldn't get passed the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNative View Post
    I'm new here, but I'm on my 2nd bay boat. My latest is a 18ft fiberglass lake tubing boat that I'm fishing from.

I tried to launch from Pier 52 the past few days and make it out to the salmon grounds but the swells at the gate kept me from getting it.

Did I just not push far enough? I was by myself and tried when the bay would get calm but the swells were still sooo massive I felt like it just wasn't smart.
    Salmon is closed FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNative View Post
    I'm new here, but I'm on my 2nd bay boat. My latest is a 18ft fiberglass lake tubing boat that I'm fishing from.

I tried to launch from Pier 52 the past few days and make it out to the salmon grounds but the swells at the gate kept me from getting it.

Did I just not push far enough? I was by myself and tried when the bay would get calm but the swells were still sooo massive I felt like it just wasn't smart.

NO..... You did the right thing. If you weren't comfortable, you didn't need to go any further. All the advise in prior posts about gear is good stuff, but none of it makes up for experience. The Gate is no place to mess with, and conditions can change very quickly. Radio, chart-plotter and PLB are good safety devices, but they're mostly to have someone save your butt in the event you get lost, broken down, swamped or start to sink. Think those scenarios through a bit.... Not being condescending, something we all should think about.

Unless you're comfortable and know what you and the boat can handle, a box full of 30#'s isn't enough to risk your well being. And a box full of 30#'s isn't realistic. Turning around is the only choice if you're not comfortable.

Best advice I have is to hop on some charter boats heading out the gate. You'll learn more for $150, than you'll ever get reading. Just my 2 cents.

3. Likes Yearroundfisherman, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My West Marine 585 vhf is tied in to my Lowrance Hook 9 via NMEA. You hold one button for three seconds on the radio and it pulls GPS data from the Lowrance which is then broadcast out too USCG. For a PLB I would want one that I could carry with me in case I Were to get separated from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forec...US56.KMTR.html
    VHF Radio: Your lifeline to the outside world, including the U.S. Coast Guard, so you'll need a hard-wired, DSC-equipped unit.PLB: For a couple of hundred dollars you can be certain a distress signal will reach the Coast Guard if something goes wrong.
    Chartplotter: Nothing is more basic than getting from A to B safely and accurately; today's plotters offer a wealth of information to accomplish that.Depth Sounder: Because running aground is no fun.
    The ocean is a nasty place make smart decisions. Be overly prepared.

Can you get a combo PLB+VHF?

Chartplotter - I've got many GPS apps on my phone including MarineWays which tells me my location and has marine overlays like depth and shipping channels etc.

Depth Sounder - Working on that. Getting my humminbird hooked up!

Going to get the VHF. I've just made sure to have a charged cell phone with a battery backup.
    18.5" Larson I/O 4.3L Volvo Penta
    Fishing in The Bay, any NorCal lake or river, or Pyramid Lake NV

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forec...US56.KMTR.html
    VHF Radio: Your lifeline to the outside world, including the U.S. Coast Guard, so you'll need a hard-wired, DSC-equipped unit.PLB: For a couple of hundred dollars you can be certain a distress signal will reach the Coast Guard if something goes wrong.
    Chartplotter: Nothing is more basic than getting from A to B safely and accurately; today's plotters offer a wealth of information to accomplish that.Depth Sounder: Because running aground is no fun.
    The ocean is a nasty place make smart decisions. Be overly prepared.

7. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd go after Salmon - couldn't get passed the gate.

18.5" Larson I/O 4.3L Volvo Penta
    Fishing in The Bay, any NorCal lake or river, or Pyramid Lake NV