Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: American River Salmon

I went by the hatchery today too and the ladder was FULL of salmon this afternoon. Hope to get out on the river this week and try my luck. I would say most of the salmon that I saw were pushing 20 pounds. It sure would be fun to hook into a nice Crome 20 #’er this season in the AR

Post Thanks / Like

Was there this morning and fish are in the holding pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hydrasports 2000CC 225 ProXS and Livingston 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Seeker View Post
    I think they held longer in the sac, I was getting dark fish in the lower sac last month

Makes sense with what SnS said about them having been dumped out of Miller and the metro area. Fish are probably swimming circles in that area before getting the hint to move up river. The construction zone on south river seems to be where I've seen tons of pics from the last week.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they held longer in the sac, I was getting dark fish in the lower sac last month

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve given this year’s lousy AR run a lot of thought...trying to determine in my own mind what the cause might be. SnS gave several possibilities, then there’s the issues he didn’t really focus on like water politics. At the end of the day, I firmly believe the AR would be loaded with fish right now if the flows were 500-1,000 cfs higher than they were in Sept and Oct.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

6. Likes Legalbeagle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaban12 View Post
    I was at the hatchery today with the kids. There’s hundreds of salmon in the holding pen.

That's good. I fished the Sac off the bank this morning, 5 salmon caught for 12-14 guys. So some schools must be coming in, hopefully from those late fall run salmon still out there finally showing up. Hope the American below Ancil gets good for fishing and more salmon keep coming up the fish ladder. Maybe I'll go tommorow to the hatchery again, now that they're there.
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-03-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the hatchery today with the kids. There’s hundreds of salmon in the holding pen.

Post Thanks / Like

I also got to the hatchery at 12:30 after fishing the Sac and lunch, 2 fish for 12 guys off the bank and a sealion got 1....The gate at the bottom of the flooded ladder still looked closed. A couple there said they thought it was suppose to open today. I showed them the 2 pictures on the fence showing the open gate position but it only looks open a foot or two off the bottom if you look hard. Saw 2 fish at the top holding area gate and saw 1 at the bottom swimming before the gate. No salmon jumping the ladders, real sorry looking. I went to look at the open water that's closed from the cable to the weir for a minute, saw just 15 salmon roll. I was there about 5 yrs ago on opening day and saw salmon packed really thick in that area. Nothing was going on in visitor area to watch thru the window so I walked back down to the bottom gate and finally saw that one salmon jump the first ladder. There was a lot of salmon caught in the ocean mid to late Oct, those are probably late fall run salmon hopefully on their way. Before I left I briefly spoke to 2 hatchery guides walking groups, they said it's a really slow run there this year compared to other years, Yea!!.

Post Thanks / Like

3 that’s right (3) salmon came up the ladder for the opening today, couple more dark males were coming up at the closing but it was not pretty

11. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Dislikes murph disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t believe the scum around there. Stealing copper from the chiller and breaking in to steal salmon smolt. That’s a low for even the low life trash that hang around there.

13. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast