Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: American River Salmon

[QUOTE=stefanoflo;1159164]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

Sounds as if that warden has a fish story of Sorts . With every one recording everything from cats to Teachers , you would at least see a Picture
    RIGHT???????? or better yet on the cable news that has Like 10000 Cable channels, But then again that many Channels and nothing good to watch or Report!.

Right !!!!!!...but like I said he didn't want to show it show it yet for some reason, b/c it won't be a record. He said the reason was it was snagged or something, he didn't give the complete story.. and I asked him again about the weight. He didn't seem like the b/ser type...So for now I guess it's a fish story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steeliesNstripers View Post
    The folks at the visitor center are mostly volunteers and a few are part-time, seasonal aid, paid employees. None are wardens and I have never seen (even when I worked there in the early 90's) an actual game warden in that building. Secondly, the WORLD RECORD KING is just 97lbs 4oz and my friend who ran a lodge on the Kenai Peninsula back in the 1970's caught an 86 lb Chinook and by the time he sold his lodge in the mid 80's, most of the monster kings had disappeared. It's sad but folks selectively harvested them and killed them off for wall hangers. Surely, a 100+ lb salmon would have been photographed, talked about, heard of. Perhaps the volunteer mistook the Battle Creek fish for a 100 lb fish as that is its estimated weight prior to spawning. Sometimes folks (ESPECIALLY FISHER-WO/MEN) hear, forget, selectively remember and embellish a little~:) Here's a good article: https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-a...i-king-salmon/

Most are volunteers and I know the difference. I 'Saw' them sitting 5 feet in front of me, these 2 men were in official CDWL uniforms, badges, everything. I've talked to many wardens before. We also talked about fines they were passing out to some fishing the basin and below. One of them told me he had a picture and I wanted to see it but he didn't want to show it yet for some reason so you and others will need to take it up with him, I didn't get his name. If you don't want to believe this that's fine too, I even have some doubt too until I see it but he didn't seem to me he was a b/s er ..but with no picture, it makes this a fish story and I understand that. It really doesn't matter who they were exactly anyways. Maybe you haven't seen them there and that's fine. But that's the first time I've seen them behind the desk too. There was also a couple of volunteers or paid employees next to them.

The Battle Creek fish was found by DFG biologists surveying the river. The picture was taken by Doug Killiam and held by DFG biologists Dale Morrison on 10/30/08. Matt Johnson of the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission said they used a weight calculator on this 51 inch salmon by using length and girth, ect and estimated it to be about 88lb. Maybe 90lbs+ before it spawned and died according to them, not in the 100's like you assume a volunteer did, so you can save the embellish part out of this one~:..but I understand people do this. On 11/21/79 O.H. Lingburg caught a 88lb salmon on the Sac river. And there is a report of a 102 lb salmon caught in B.C. 4/16 but I didn't see pictures on the internet so not sure about that one. Secondly, the WORLD RECORD KING is 97lbs 4oz, it was caught by a fisherman in the Kenai..and the world record commercial catch was 126lb salmon caught near Rivers Inlet in the late 1970's according to Wiki.

"The Chinook is blue-green, red, or purple on the back and top of the head, with silvery sides and white
    ventral surfaces. It has black spots on its tail and the upper half of its body. Chinook have a Black gum line which is present in both salt and freshwater.[12] Adult fish range in size from 24 to 36 in (61 to 91 cm), but may be up to 58 in (150 cm) in length; they average 10 to 50 lb (4.5 to 22.7 kg), but may reach 130 lb (59 kg). In the Kenai River of Alaska, mature Chinook averaged 16.8 kg (37 lb).[13] The current sport-caught world record, 97.25 lb (44.11 kg), was caught on May 17, 1985, in the Kenai River (Kenai Peninsula, Alaska). The commercial catch world record is 126 lb (57 kg) caught near Rivers Inlet, British Columbia, in the late 1970s.[1 "
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-17-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The folks at the visitor center are mostly volunteers and a few are part-time, seasonal aid, paid employees. None are wardens and I have never seen (even when I worked there in the early 90's) an actual game warden in that building. Secondly, the WORLD RECORD KING is just 97lbs 4oz and my friend who ran a lodge on the Kenai Peninsula back in the 1970's caught an 86 lb Chinook and by the time he sold his lodge in the mid 80's, most of the monster kings had disappeared. It's sad but folks selectively harvested them and killed them off for wall hangers. Surely, a 100+ lb salmon would have been photographed, talked about, heard of. Perhaps the volunteer mistook the Battle Creek fish for a 100 lb fish as that is its estimated weight prior to spawning. Sometimes folks (ESPECIALLY FISHER-WO/MEN) hear, forget, selectively remember and embellish a little~:) Here's a good article: https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-a...i-king-salmon/

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mark1;1159163]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaban12 View Post
    106lb salmon on the AR? Wow!!! Hopefully someone has a pic of that 1!
    I havenít caught anything over 32lbs for my 8 years fishing the ar.

Well the 2 wardens behind the desk in the visitors center said that huge 106lb salmon was caught 2-3 years ago around Sailors bar. I wanted to see a picture, that's the first thing I said after one of the wardens said it was probably snagged or something, he was a bit vague. Then that warden told me he had a picture but couldn't or he wouldn't show it for some reason maybe because it won't be a record due to the way it was landed, not sure.... Too bad, that would be one hell of a picture!!
    Sounds as if that warden has a fish story of Sorts . With every one recording everything from cats to Teachers , you would at least see a Picture
    RIGHT???????? or better yet on the cable news that has Like 10000 Cable channels, But then again that many Channels and nothing good to watch or Report!.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

5. Likes Jimmy_M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Kaban12;1159158]106lb salmon on the AR? Wow!!! Hopefully someone has a pic of that 1!
    I haven’t caught anything over 32lbs for my 8 years fishing the ar.

Well the 2 wardens behind the desk in the visitors center said that huge 106lb salmon was caught 2-3 years ago around Sailors bar. I wanted to see a picture, that's the first thing I said after one of the wardens said it was probably snagged or something, he was a bit vague. Then that warden told me he had a picture but couldn't or he wouldn't show it for some reason maybe because it won't be a record due to the way it was landed, not sure.... Too bad, that would be one hell of a picture!!

Post Thanks / Like

106lb salmon on the AR? Wow!!! Hopefully someone has a pic of that 1!
    I havenít caught anything over 32lbs for my 8 years fishing the ar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    Make you wonder how long that salmon has been in the Ocean just waiting to come in to spawn!!!
    I Don`t thing thats a 3 or 4 salt fish . I`m sure its more like a 10 or 15 salt fish .

Some big salmon stay out for 5-8 years, this one could of stayed out maybe 8-9 years. I don't think huge salmon stay out more than 10 years.
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-08-2018 at 05:05 AM.

9. Likes Chrome Seeker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    The photo of the 88lb salmon is from the Battle creek near Anderson on Oct 30 '08. Another reported salmon about the same size was caught in the Sac in 1979. This photo has been in magazines, I've seen it before and is in a 12"x12" photo laying in the midddle of the counter in the visitors center with other pictures at the hatchery. It was said that it probably weighed 90+lbs and then lost a few pounds when found dead. The largest salmon recorded was a huge 126 pounder, it was captured in a commercial fish trap near Petersburg, Alaska in 1949. In B.C. April '16 a 102lb salmon caught. Now the picture of the 106lb salmon would be something to see!!..but the biologist/warden didn't want to show it yet. Guess it was snagged or something and won't be in a record book, not sure. .

Make you wonder how long that salmon has been in the Ocean just waiting to come in to spawn!!!
    I Don`t thing thats a 3 or 4 salt fish . I`m sure its more like a 10 or 15 salt fish .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if that salmon was kept or if it was allowed to spawn. Any fish I catch over 30lbs in the river I release. Iíd never keep a 106lb salmon. Iíd get itís measurements and release it for the genetics. Iíll tell you what, Iíve seen some salmon on the Yuba that I thought were logs. Huge! Couldnít even guess the weight on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MienAce View Post
    I need to see the pics of the 88lbs fish and 106lbs(wow!)fish if you ever get them
    The photo of the 88lb salmon is from the Battle creek near Anderson on Oct 30 '08. Another reported salmon about the same size was caught in the Sac in 1979. This photo has been in magazines, I've seen it before and is in a 12"x12" photo laying in the midddle of the counter in the visitors center with other pictures at the hatchery. It was said that it probably weighed 90+lbs and then lost a few pounds when found dead. The largest salmon recorded was a huge 126 pounder, it was captured in a commercial fish trap near Petersburg, Alaska in 1949. In B.C. April '16 a 102lb salmon caught. Now the picture of the 106lb salmon would be something to see!!..but the biologist/warden didn't want to show it yet. Guess it was snagged or something and won't be in a record book, not sure. .
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast