Post Thanks / Like

Re: Almanor. It was a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    Mikfish, I was there in mid October and fished Almanor for two days. 1st day was rough trolling. Second day was great with power bait. I know, I know, power bait. Trust me I'm a troller but with no wind and water flat calm. We just drifted with powerbait and caught some monsters.

The other three days we went up to Eagle Lake and trolled for limits by lunch time. All those fish were monsters. It's a 1 hour 15 min from Canyon Dam.
    Hey PB has saved our butts at a derby this year. Although we failed to make weigh-in.. but still. I'm stocked up. Almanor is a perfect shallow lake to drift PB. Thanks for the tip! Haven't fished Eagle yet. So many good lakes, so little time.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firetrout View Post
    Mikfish, The area near the airport is good trolling this time of year in shallow water.Also across from that is Bailey creek. sometimes a good spot too.
    Thanks for the info! It's a big lake, gotta be some fat browns lurking all over.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Mikfish, I was there in mid October and fished Almanor for two days. 1st day was rough trolling. Second day was great with power bait. I know, I know, power bait. Trust me I'm a troller but with no wind and water flat calm. We just drifted with powerbait and caught some monsters.

The other three days we went up to Eagle Lake and trolled for limits by lunch time. All those fish were monsters. It's a 1 hour 15 min from Canyon Dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikfish View Post
    Oh I was elated to get a nice fish after all those shakers. It really is a beautiful lake! Does anyone ever venture over to the north shore near hwy 36 and Chester? Have not heard of that area ever mentioned in reports. MikeSent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Mikfish, The area near the airport is good trolling this time of year in shallow water.Also across from that is Bailey creek. sometimes a good spot too.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I was elated to get a nice fish after all those shakers. It really is a beautiful lake! Does anyone ever venture over to the north shore near hwy 36 and Chester? Have not heard of that area ever mentioned in reports.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Some trips, are made by one fish. Plenty of days I'd be happy with that one, which is a beauty. Pretty place to fish regardless.

Thanks for the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Butt kickin lake sometimes for sure. Way to grind it out and thanks for the report!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, isn't that the truth? I've had those rare skunk days, then go back out the very next day, to the same place, same presentation and get limits of nice fish. It's that unknown that keeps me going back. I like Almanor. Went with friends during summer from the ramp to Rocky point along the west shore and we did well. That was my first trip there. This time I wanted to scout new areas. I'm always searching for a trophy fish, sometimes that means leaving fish to find fish, depending on their size. But those planters were far & wide. I think next time I can ditch the downriggers and use clip-on weights. I was a bit surprised that I never found it to be deeper than 58' deep anywhere I went.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had to many days where Ive had my butt handed to me on Almanor. You just have to persevere and keep fishing.

Those AFA pen fish and the newly planted browns are aggressive and can be bear. The best thing to do is keep searching and get away from those smaller fish. You will find bigger fish, especially this time of year with the cooler temps. Dont overlook the west shore and high spots.

Appreciate the report.

10. Likes Captain Compassion, Mikfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almanor. It was a grind.

Well I made it to Almanor. 1st time in my boat. Launched at dark thirty. Everything went smooth, cruised all the way from canyon dam to recreation #1. About 20 minute drive in my boat. Ready to fish? Nope.. forgot my net in the truck. Not even gonna try to land a possible bruiser without a net. All the way back to get the net! Lost an hour of good early fishing. Decided to fish the east shore instead since it was closer to the ramp. Planter city! Lost count. Stayed on that side way too long. Finally made my way back to Rec 1 and got one with shoulders. All said & done... only got 1 fish that required a net. 20+ inch rainbow on white #4 Optimizer. All the rest were flip in the boat planter browns and rainbows. Marked a ton of big fish, many boats anchored jigging these spots so it was tough to troll through there. Thought about joining the crowd.. But I have trolling in my blood. I suspect jigging may be the best method for that lake though. Stayed all day to sunset and caught more c&r planters then I care to. Most times dragging fish around that didn't pop the release. Plan to go back before the snows, but will definitely change up my strategy. Next time... Bring Worms!*

Mike