Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pyramid Nov. 2-4 West Coast's Valhalla

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    This year was the third annual trip. Would like to make it more often, but just doesn't seem to work out that way.

The buddy who got the 12 pounder, caught it on a fly he designed and tied. Thought that was pretty cool. I've spent much more time picking flies out of trees and bushes than fish, so I stick with the knuckle-dragging gear crowd mostly. It is cool to dial in techniques and get in the zone though. Messed with a lot of different rigs, and settled on fishing with a bass rod and braid jigging. It's fun when you get the chance to get in the zone "be the spoon, feel every flutter" and then detect a subtle pause, or thump. Redneck meditation I guess.

Fun days.
    You nailed it If in doubt rip it out

Post Thanks / Like

Wow incredible. I love pyramid - probably my favorite fishery. Did you eat that big one? How'd she taste? We just finished a 15# and it was delicious to the last bite.
    18.5" Larson I/O 4.3L Volvo Penta
    Fishing in The Bay, any NorCal lake or river, or Pyramid Lake NV

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Smile sez it all.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    Is this the fish?

CC
    That's the one.

Joked that he's not as photogenic as Chelsea (She made the Fish Sniffer cover with a 21 pounder I believe). He agrees.

5. Likes Captain Compassion, okie, hooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, fish of a lifetime for sure!

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the fish?

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

8. Likes TBSP, okie, hooks, Dbigone liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be there the 13th through the 15th you have no idea how jealous and excited your post makes me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    Good going ! Glad you finally made the trip that lake doesn't disappoint! It's probably safe to say you'll be making a trip there annually if not more. Great job you guys and thanks for the report. By the way the one fish I caught over 20#s I caught on my fly rod with a fly I make just for those fish.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
    This year was the third annual trip. Would like to make it more often, but just doesn't seem to work out that way.

The buddy who got the 12 pounder, caught it on a fly he designed and tied. Thought that was pretty cool. I've spent much more time picking flies out of trees and bushes than fish, so I stick with the knuckle-dragging gear crowd mostly. It is cool to dial in techniques and get in the zone though. Messed with a lot of different rigs, and settled on fishing with a bass rod and braid jigging. It's fun when you get the chance to get in the zone "be the spoon, feel every flutter" and then detect a subtle pause, or thump. Redneck meditation I guess.

Fun days.

11. Likes MKE, TBSP, hooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good going ! Glad you finally made the trip that lake doesn't disappoint! It's probably safe to say you'll be making a trip there annually if not more. Great job you guys and thanks for the report. By the way the one fish I caught over 20#s I caught on my fly rod with a fly I make just for those fish.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

13. Likes hooks, muledeer12, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pyramid Nov. 2-4 West Coast's Valhalla

Made a trip to Pyramid with two buddies Friday thru Sunday. Had a great time at this amazing fishery. Also got in a few of those moments we live for.

I got my first cutthroat over 10#s, one buddy got a 12#+/- on a sissy stick (fly rod), and the other got a fish of a life time, 23 pounder. We also got four others over 7#s. Best moment of the trip was seeing the big fish role 30 feet off to the side of the boat, causing three grown men to go silent until the fish made the net, at which point we all started giggling.

Fish seemed to be spread out. Fly guy buddy got his big one off a ladder somewhere south of nets (not sure which beach) before I got up there. We got a few off Spider trolling, and the rest came from the east side rocky areas. We fished Hells Kitchen with quite a few other folks, but we caught fish several other spots with similar structure.

The big fish came jigging spoons 30-60 feet deep. When we trolled, Flatfish and Maglipps worked best out of what we used. The key seemed to be staying tight to bottom. Had a couple fish follow lures right to the boat, hang out, and actually bite. I see followers every now and then, but rarely do they bite again once they've seem the boat.

Thanks to those who post reports. The information provided is priceless. Can't wait to go back to that amazing place.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 11-05-2018 at 06:28 AM.