Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio vista

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rio vista

Thanks for reporting back. Too bad you didn't have better luck. Just sounds like one of those days...

Best wishes for fishes.KERPOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone,

I just want to start off by saying thank you to everyone who helped me out with advice for my trip to Rio vista.

We left Marin county around 320 am got to Sherman island at 430am .
    Baits used : ghost shrimp, grass shrimp, salmon roe ,eel, pile worms , shad , sardines mudsuckers , chicken liver

We got small bites right away on the ghost . Nothing for a while around 6am my pole got a good sturgeon pump I quickly picked up my rod as slowly as I can I felt the fish drop it so I knew right away what type of fish it was .. so I waited.... waited ... and waiting 20min later still holding the rod . And I said to myself this fish and coming back. So I reeled my rod in .. checked the hood to see of there was any bait left .. no ghost left. Said to myself " dang I missed it .. oh well but the fish are here cast the rod back out right away." So I did and nothing for hours nothing not even a bite around 12pm my rod gets a good striper bite so I run over to the rod and the fish its it again so I set the hook.. fish on! But I was reeling in I coulndt feel anything so I said out loud dang I missed another .. man I'm striking out today as line got closer to shore I felt a little twitch.i said out loud hey you guys I did hook the fish. It looked small when I lifted the fish out of the water we looked small very small it was a 12inch striper. That was it.. for the action but around 130 my rod looks like it's getting a pump.. so grab my rod and I set the hook!!!! Fish on !! I could feel the fish really good so I thought. Mind you I have a 12 ft diawa emblem surf with a bg90 and 55lb diawa samurai so I can get it out pretty far. So I didnt notice that a little boat had anchored right in front our spot and I guess the dropped their little anchor on my line so when I set the hook and I guess I must of released their anchor because apparently the anchored right on top of my line when the floated away my reel was giving line so it felt like a good fish..no it wasnt .. not at all. So after while and yelling back n forth I finally broke off my line and lost a good 100 yards of braid so at that point I said my rod is done for the day but I had other rods so it wasnt that big of a deal but other than the fishing being slow we had a great time fishing.

Once again thanks everyone for your input happy holidays to everyone maybe next time I'll get a keeper.

3. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tangofox1 View Post
    Rio vista is my kinda go to spot because its productive, has a lighted pier if i wanna fish later (especially with how it gets dark early in the winter) and is basically nearest to where i live in Vacaville. The downside is there is a LOT of broken off gear and the bottom has got lots of debris (good structure I suppose) so plan to lose a lot of rigs. Bring lots of extra weights and hooks!

Ive started using more live bait - I catch shad on little jigs when I can find them (the best in my opinion but they die fast in the bucket and also once hooked on your line) followed by mud suckers and then small panfish last. Also, if youre on the pier, Ive taken to using large floats or a balloon to keep it off the bottom while still fishing 6-8 down. Helps catch more imho and it reduces my snags - just tie it on secure so it pops when a fish bites or you can pop it when it comes up your line then fight the fish to keep it from going in the river. You can also use a small bead, a slider rig with the balloon tied to the snap like a slip float and a bobber stop and it will work even better if you take the time to set that up
    Ok cool thanks for the info yeah I'm going to try all that see what works. I cant wait to get out there it might be the last trip of the year so I hope it's a good one . Thanks for all the info everyone now to get bait I want to get out there real early so I have to see where I can get bait super early on Saturday or really late Friday .

Post Thanks / Like

Rio vista is my kinda go to spot because its productive, has a lighted pier if i wanna fish later (especially with how it gets dark early in the winter) and is basically nearest to where i live in Vacaville. The downside is there is a LOT of broken off gear and the bottom has got lots of debris (good structure I suppose) so plan to lose a lot of rigs. Bring lots of extra weights and hooks!

Ive started using more live bait - I catch shad on little jigs when I can find them (the best in my opinion but they die fast in the bucket and also once hooked on your line) followed by mud suckers and then small panfish last. Also, if youre on the pier, Ive taken to using large floats or a balloon to keep it off the bottom while still fishing 6-8 down. Helps catch more imho and it reduces my snags - just tie it on secure so it pops when a fish bites or you can pop it when it comes up your line then fight the fish to keep it from going in the river. You can also use a small bead, a slider rig with the balloon tied to the snap like a slip float and a bobber stop and it will work even better if you take the time to set that up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    Fishing from the banks isn't a downside at all. the Royal sampler technique works just as well off the banks as it does from a boat. If you want to save money, get a funnel trap and pack it with anchovies or cat food and catch live bait instead of buying it. I find fishing off the banks better for the kids too since they can play around while their line is in the water. good luck!
    Okay cool thanks for the advice I appreciate it. Yeah I think we might fish Sherman island that's really the only place I know besides sandy beach. I cant wait. Sorry for all the questions i was thinking of using a slider set up i think that's the way to go. I'm just so excited to get out there an fish it's been a while. I fish mainly the bay and ocean I try to fish the delta but it can be far for me I live out in Marin county. But you have any other tips or areas I should look at it would be very appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing from the banks isn't a downside at all. the Royal sampler technique works just as well off the banks as it does from a boat. If you want to save money, get a funnel trap and pack it with anchovies or cat food and catch live bait instead of buying it. I find fishing off the banks better for the kids too since they can play around while their line is in the water. good luck!

8. Likes Paintguy, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    If you have the funds, go with the royal sampler technique. If im bait fishing i will bring live and cut bait, and a few packages of chicken liver. I then throw a different bait on each line and follow which one is getting hit the best amd slowly switch to that bait if there is a definite trend on what's hot. What I have noticed in bait fishing this time of year is that if the water is closer to 50F or lower, the chicken livers seems to bring them in, 55-60, shad and sardines seem to have a lot of luck, and i always have a line or two with a live bait like mudsucker, large shiner, or bullhead. the action will be slower on the live bait, but you can usually catch em at keeper grade with live bait. If you will have kids on the boat, bring the anchovies. they are shaker magnets, but it keeps the kids entertained. I have also caught them as big as 32" on a chovie so you can strike gold every once in a while. The main key is to have FRESH BAIT! any leftovers i end up with at the end of a trip go into my garage freezer and get used in my funnel trap on the next trip so i can catch some mudsuckers and bullheads. good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Cool thanks for the info the Down side that I am fishing off the banks i was thinking sandy beach or Sherman island any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the funds, go with the royal sampler technique. If im bait fishing i will bring live and cut bait, and a few packages of chicken liver. I then throw a different bait on each line and follow which one is getting hit the best amd slowly switch to that bait if there is a definite trend on what's hot. What I have noticed in bait fishing this time of year is that if the water is closer to 50F or lower, the chicken livers seems to bring them in, 55-60, shad and sardines seem to have a lot of luck, and i always have a line or two with a live bait like mudsucker, large shiner, or bullhead. the action will be slower on the live bait, but you can usually catch em at keeper grade with live bait. If you will have kids on the boat, bring the anchovies. they are shaker magnets, but it keeps the kids entertained. I have also caught them as big as 32" on a chovie so you can strike gold every once in a while. The main key is to have FRESH BAIT! any leftovers i end up with at the end of a trip go into my garage freezer and get used in my funnel trap on the next trip so i can catch some mudsuckers and bullheads. good luck and let us know how it goes.

11. Likes pointemdown, Stickman, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay thanks for the info I know there is alot of water moving this upcoming Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striper415 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I was planning on fishing the Rio vista area this upcoming Saturday. I have family from out of town
    coming for Christmas and want to take them out striper/sturgeon fishing. Thinking of soaking some bait . Has anyone how the action is up that area . Also I was wondering what are better baits to use around this time of year for stripers. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your time
    We went out of Brannon Island this past Saturday and did some bait fishing around Decker Island and Sherman Island. We used Live Mudsuckers, Frozen Anchovies, and Chicken Liver. We caught two keepers at 19 and 20 inches and about 6 shakers. Chicken Liver and Mudsuckers did the best. I saw a lot of boats fishing the main channel by the power lines and was not sure if they were fishing for Sturgeon or Striper.

14. Likes Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast