Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American tips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: American tips

It's my understanding that the various "bars" tend to have a historical significance and a story. There was some limited hydraulic mining done at SB. Extensive dredge mining all along the American and Natomas area. Hence the rock piles. The mining, except perhaps for simple panning, really changed the landscape.
    Since I am on a roll, the Nimbus winery was once, pre prohibition, one of the largest wineries in the west. Around 2,000 acres of vineyard.
    The History Center in Fair Oaks village has a plethora of information on this kind of thing.
    Great tips on the fish. Nothing to add other than have fun and enjoy the natural surroundings. Sometimes you find you catch more when you let go of the idea of catching. I know, rather strange philosophical twist.
    Gratitude

SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plug-n-jug View Post
    +1. Glow bugs have always worked well for me. They hold scent well too...hint, hint.
    ssshhhhh!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Datster_2000 View Post
    I fished the first through the sixth of January and it seems nearly all the steelhead were caught on beads or puff balls. This counts fly and casting anglers. I use both spin and casting reels and hooked up at least six fish every day (landed about 30%). I stay on the bank whenever I can specifically to avoid walking through the redds since I can cast a long ways without needing space behind me. Always looked for the trough / slot for the drift. The downpour on Sunday really helped as all the rain hitting the surface seemed help hide the terminal tackle. Hope this helps.
    +1. Glow bugs have always worked well for me. They hold scent well too...Hint, Hint.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

4. Likes Datster_2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    Not looking for locations I will work that out but what are you using on the American right now? Last year was my first year in almost 15 years and had limited success with spoons. No love on the pink worms that worked 15 years ago. Tried night crawlers and spinners with no love too. Don’t have any roe and don’t really know how to tie it on to stay more then 2-3 cast so haven’t tried any store bought stuff either
    I fished the first through the sixth of January and it seems nearly all the steelhead were caught on beads or puff balls. This counts fly and casting anglers. I use both spin and casting reels and hooked up at least six fish every day (landed about 30%). I stay on the bank whenever I can specifically to avoid walking through the redds since I can cast a long ways without needing space behind me. Always looked for the trough / slot for the drift. The downpour on Sunday really helped as all the rain hitting the surface seemed help hide the terminal tackle. Hope this helps.

6. Likes Plug-n-Jug, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense, gold seekers then. Nowadays it's chrome seekers!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post
    Why do they call it "Sailor bar"?

My understanding is that was mined/settled by gold seeking sailors. Makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MtnFisher View Post

Sailor Bar is so-named because it is where sailors jumped ship to seek their fortune during the Gold Rush. You have too keep in mind that there where no dams and completely navigable to that area back then.
    Last edited by Plug-n-Jug; 01-09-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    those 10 guys might be the guys learning to fish the river and riffles than having to stand on the wall!!! ..and floss!!!
    If they’re “standing in a circle in ankle deep water,” they’re sight fishing redds. Not cool.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

11. Likes CAL.NDN, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    If there is about 10 guys standing in a circle around a "riffle" ankle deep (sailor bar) fish somewhere else.
    those 10 guys might be the guys learning to fish the river and riffles than having to stand on the wall!!! ..and floss!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast