Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nw year Jan 5, 2019... Back out...

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Well you can rest easy knowing the mud is back! It was clean this morning in walnut grove but started to get more and more chocolatey as the day moved on. Checked out the deep water channel over by Southport off the bank and it was GREY nasty clay or sediment filled looking water.

Clear water is always somewhere though.
    Curses,, that's what I thought. I was hoping it would hold off until Sunday.

I talked to someone this evening and he confirmed what you said about the port area.

Humm, now to find that cleaner water...

Thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radoncraft View Post
    Thanks you're right DSA, the timing was right. I caught it before the water changed again. Next time will be tougher.
    It was sure nice getting out again. On the way home, the Sacramento side sure looked nice, wished I had time to hit the courland area etc.

Liberty looked good, but I didn't have enough time to work it. You can only cover so much. The wind was picking up pretty heavy by then too.

Thanks
    Well you can rest easy knowing the mud is back! It was clean this morning in walnut grove but started to get more and more chocolatey as the day moved on. Checked out the deep water channel over by Southport off the bank and it was GREY nasty clay or sediment filled looking water.

Clear water is always somewhere though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Good to get out in the rain, you went right in time for it to be clear again, and before it muddies up. The river was filthy in that area about 5 days ago. The sac around walnut grove and some spots I drive by around miner looked perfect with emerald greensih clarity. Way to get on them!
    Thanks you're right DSA, the timing was right. I caught it before the water changed again. Next time will be tougher.
    It was sure nice getting out again. On the way home, the Sacramento side sure looked nice, wished I had time to hit the courland area etc.

Liberty looked good, but I didn't have enough time to work it. You can only cover so much. The wind was picking up pretty heavy by then too.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Katch;1161220]Nice job finding some action! What kind of boat do you have that you're comfortable using in the rain? In relation, how do you cover/store it when it's wet?[/QUOTE

Not too big a boat, it's an narrow 18ft center console. I keep it open, I don't like tops, they slow me down and get in my way. I do it the old fashion way, layered down and rain gear. When my mind is set out on going , almost nothing stops me. Fishing in the rain is enjoyable as long as it is not hard rains blowing side ways for a long time, then I might pull the plug, otherwise I keep the bilage pump going. Also I don't sit in the rain since I don't bait fish. Always on the move. If I don't catch anything well then it's been a nice tour/adventure. I always catch something. As far as coverage and storage, it's garaged.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Good to get out in the rain, you went right in time for it to be clear again, and before it muddies up. The river was filthy in that area about 5 days ago. The sac around walnut grove and some spots I drive by around miner looked perfect with emerald greensih clarity. Way to get on them!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job finding some action! What kind of boat do you have that you're comfortable using in the rain? In relation, how do you cover/store it when it's wet?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report, I can’t wait to get back out but it could be awhile with these storms.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Nw year Jan 5, 2019... Back out...

Well listening to the weather report the last few days, it sounds like bad news for this weekend... But I never believe them.
    I have been sick for a few weeks so I haven't been out. pretty much done now. Dressed for the expected situation. Was not that had in the morning, lite drizzle but freezing. The heavy wind didn't become a factor until noon and then it started blowing. Other people must have heed the warning. Nobody in the parking lot when I arrived or when I left. I probably saw two boats all day and I think they were both duck boats. Fished Minor, liberty and about eight miles down the deep water channel, pretty much my same M.O.
    Water temp 45-46*f, surprisingly much clearer than I expected. Most area plenty fishable. Did not see much fish today, but I did see a fair amount of suspended bait down the deep channel. Scored my first two keeper stripes in Minor, they fell prey to the poke a dot spoon. Later on the Blackbass like my B16 shallow bomber, and lastly the final stripe gave it up to the Xrap running 12ft deep. Two stripes went 23" , one at 19", and one keeper Blackbass. It was an adventure today , rain poured late in the day. Kept one Stripe. I also gave one to a Bankie that I crossed his line.
    No big baits thrown today, I did try a Wopper Plopper but no one was interested.
    Two weeks home sick, stir crazy and first day out for the new year.... Priceless...

Out
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Likes Stickman, KERPOW, Waterdog, dsa2780, nayr, RideNfish liked this post