Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anybody been out?

Quote Originally Posted by Smallboatfullcoole View Post
    Took a ride out to the river today, still looks high and flooded. Any idea how long it'll be until river is fishable? Still new at the river sturgeon thing,is there an optimal flow rate/river height for Sacramento? Are ideal conditions/flow rate the same for bank as well as boat, or can you get away with stronger current from shore versus boat? Thank you for any advice in advance.

The more water the better when fishing the river. Sturgeon in our system don’t spawn every year, and high flows is one of the things that does trigger them to move up the river to spawn. Some of the best fishing is when the river is nearly out of its banks. When it gets that way you can look for slightly shallower sand bars and slower water near deeper holes.

Youll need heavier than normal weight weight to stay on the bottom and you’ll have to clean grass and leaves off your line frequently, but that’s just part of the game.

The big big downside is safety. Make sure your anchor is heavy enough not to drag, you’ve got enough rope and you’re alert for logs and trees floating down the river. A Walnut tree rolling up your anchor line can sink a smaller boat.

Thats just my opinion. Others may have different suggestions. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

We went out this morning, launched at Vieira, caught the outgoing tide up the Sacramento river, some debris floating not to bad, lots of weeds fouling up our lines , only one bite all day, seen about 6 other boats in the area nobody caught any fish. Beautiful day today but fishing sucked

Post Thanks / Like

Took a ride out to the river today, still looks high and flooded. Any idea how long it'll be until river is fishable? Still new at the river sturgeon thing,is there an optimal flow rate/river height for Sacramento? Are ideal conditions/flow rate the same for bank as well as boat, or can you get away with stronger current from shore versus boat? Thank you for any advice in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Out on Sunday. Launched out of Martinez headed west. Got a keeper just before the tide change. We missed another that hit right after the first one bent the rod. Usually don't keep Dino's but I have been itching for smoked whitefish so this will be my one for the year. See if the photo links. Btw eel and pile worm combo. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3ypS8KzT74mbeci36

Post Thanks / Like

Made it out last Thursday and Friday, weather was awesome but no fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I went the complete opposite way, towards San Pablo Bay and Napa River. The water was relatively clean and only two trees were on the move. Couldn’t mark many fish though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Went out to Knights Landing for a few hours yesterday. Lots of trees in the water and grass and leaves. There were about 10 people fishing but didn't see anything caught. Anyone have any luck up that way yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Man those trees that swim the rivers after the rain sure are scary. You can’t forget to glance off your bow every twenty minutes or so when fishing out the back.

Post Thanks / Like

The trash (grass/weeeds/hyacynth) was worse before the storms. Lately has been much better. But watch out for timber when motoring.

Theres a lot of fish in the system. Trick is to fnd the ones on the bottom. Lately 20-30' has been good. Alot of fish to be found deeper but theyre mostly suspended. This warm shot of waer should help. Good luck

10. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    Haven’t made a run yet but I foresee many hours of peeling trash from lines. Saturday looks promising for a trip out to SPB.

Yes, I'm sure there will be plenty of debris in the water after these storms!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast