Thread: American River

Post Thanks / Like

Re: American River

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Where is this reg? Someone told me that when I was using my 6hp outboard on the frog water. Looked it up in DFG and couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Division of Boating and Waterways. www.dbw.parks.ca.gov About Motors....Go to the site. First click DBW Home, click About Us--click DBW programs--Boating trials--A Boating trial guide to the American River, then scroll down to..About Motors.

Motor-powered watercraft are allowed on the river, except from November 1 through March 15 when they are prohibited above Hagan Community Park. The maximum speed limit for the entire lower American River is 5 miles per hour.

Sacramento County Code: Title 13 watercourses...Chapter 13.16 speed zones....Chapter 13.16.030 speed limit on American River

13.16.030 Speed Limit—American River.
    No person shall operate any motorboat or other motor-powered vessel at a speed in excess of five miles per hour relative to the stream bottom for upstream speeds and relative to the water surface for downstream speeds on that part of the waters of the American River from the Interstate 80 bridge east to the Nimbus Dam; provided, however, that no motorboats shall operate on that portion of the American River which is closed to fishing during any given year by action of the California Fish and Game Commission because of the salmon spawning period. This prohibition against motorboats shall commence each year concurrently with the commencement of the fishing ban imposed by the California Fish and Game Commission and shall continue in effect until March 15th of each year. (SCC 156 § 1, 1973; SCC 77 § 1, 1972: Ord. 897 § 3, 1965.)

13.12.020 Exemptions.
    This chapter does not apply to any vessel being used by a peace officer of any federal, state or local agency while engaged in law enforcement activities for which the use of a powerboat is reasonably necessary, or vessels operated by the state, or any agency, in the performance of official duties, nor to any vessel operated by the united States Coast Guard. (Ord. 921 § 4, 1966.)
    Last edited by Mark1; 01-15-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbfishing View Post
    Yea no motors from JAN-MARCH even electric motors its a obscure county ordinance.
    Where is this reg? Someone told me that when I was using my 6hp outboard on the frog water. Looked it up in DFG and couldn’t find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yea no motors from JAN-MARCH even electric motors its a obscure county ordinance.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out on Sailor Bar on Sunday and a guy had about a 100hp motor on his boat and was motoring around down river of the launch. I've seen F&G ripping along the river, but I'm guessing they have an exemption.

Post Thanks / Like

This information was copied from California Division of Boating and Waterways concerning the American River
    About Motors.
    Motor-powered watercraft are allowed on the river, except from November 1 through March 15 when they are prohibited above Hagan Community Park. The maximum speed limit for the entire lower American River is 5 miles per hour.

Post Thanks / Like

American River

Where in the regs does it restrict motor usage on the American River above the power lines at Ancil Hoffman Park