Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mokelumne River report 1-19-19

Quote Originally Posted by Chromechaser View Post
    I just spent 4 days on the Smith. Got 1 wild rainbow that had yet to see salt. 4 days and only 1 of the many people I spoke with had luck and that was 1 of a dozen drift boats. Video coming soon.
    Two days, first day a couple of small trout. 2nd day my friend landed 6 lbs hen and I lost one about 10 lbs when it ran downhill in a white water tail out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    I need to try that area more. I'm in Riverbank near Modesto and it isn't to far. I hit the Smith Thur and Fri for perfect water conditions. Was "TOUGH".
    I just spent 4 days on the Smith. Got 1 wild rainbow that had yet to see salt. 4 days and only 1 of the many people I spoke with had luck and that was 1 of a dozen drift boats. Video coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to try that area more. I'm in Riverbank near Modesto and it isn't to far. I hit the Smith Thur and Fri for perfect water conditions. Was "TOUGH".

Post Thanks / Like

if you caught fish them it was too easy and you would of never learned the river . now that you have the feeling of the Mighty banana skunk on the Moke . learn the river and you will find the fish. . learn it when the water is up and the waters is low. time on that river will pay dividends like any river you fish . Moke is a great river and easy wading. Its close to Home as well ,Me being from Stockton, its a 30 Minute drive with salmon and steelhead to catch ?? gotta luv it!!!
    and not as crazy as some places with half of every one there !!
    Last edited by stefanoflo; 01-28-2019 at 10:36 PM.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

5. Likes robdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saizo View Post
    First spot and second spot have fish for sure. The second spot that you’re fishing you need to be a little higher in the the drift. Step to the right 10 steps or so. I don’t fly fish but you’re casting right on top of where the fish hold.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to find a way to coax the fish to cooperate next time!

Post Thanks / Like

First spot and second spot have fish for sure. The second spot that you’re fishing you need to be a little higher in the the drift. Step to the right 10 steps or so. I don’t fly fish but you’re casting right on top of where the fish hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, the Moke is definitely a nice little river, given that it's closer than the American, I will be a frequent visitor. Maybe one day I'll catch a fish on a fly too!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My kid and I stopped and fished there Sunday on our way to the Sportsmans Expo..first time at this spot..had similar results..saw a couple few fish break the surface and a couple salmon enjoying their last days but no action on the lines..we were drifting roe and crawlers..talked to another guy that was fly fishing and he was fishless as well..mentioned the flows had come up a little and had brought the river up 4-6" which made for tougher fishing..nice spot for sure there were only maybe 5-6 other guys there..think the rain(and football games)kept the crowds down

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all for a first timer with a fly rod and reel. It's really not that hard and you'll be good at it in no time if you just keep at it!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mokelumne River report 1-19-19

I decided to 1) give fly fishing a try, 2) fish the Mokelumne for the first time. Fished the day use area by the hatchery for about 7 hours, saw some fish at the surface but no takers for me on an olive wooly bugger or later, a black stone fly. Later I switch to a spinning rod with roe to end the day, no takers on that either. About 2 doz people were there, spoke with one guy drifting worms that said he lost a fish. Pretty river, closer to me than the American, so I will be back. I must say, some of the fly fishermen I've seen make the art look so easy!!! But I will keep at and and will probably take a class or 3. Next week I'm heading up to the Smith, looks like there will be dry weather, I hope the levels will be fishable by then!

Tight lines!

If you want to see a cringe worthy video of me attempting to fly fish, check this out:

12. Likes RideNfish liked this post