SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to discribe a Steelhead bite to a newbie????

Quote Originally Posted by troutbead View Post
    ​use a float
    word!!!fight'en steel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Rock rock rock rock pillow rock rock. Set on the pillow. Line stops lift up feel fish set hook. Tap tap tap bite set the hook. Damn I think I'm hung up lift up feel fish set the hook. Anything weird? Set the hook!! Yank? Definitely set!!

3. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

​use a float

5. Likes Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by datster_2000 View Post
    the hang on!! Is my favorite part. Even if its for a short time. It makes the blood sing.
    for sure!!!!!!!!!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Datster_2000 View Post
    The HANG ON!! is my favorite part. Even if its for a short time. it makes the blood sing.
    I love light gear also. I always tell guy's that are looking at light weight steel head gear to make sure they get a pair of running shoes to go with it. I have an original Gary Loomis unfinished 9ft IMX with a Diawa Steeze and a pair of Nike's. Not many Steelhead over here in Nevada. I think that's about the only thing I really miss about California.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    key word>>>hang on!!! >................for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The HANG ON!! is my favorite part. Even if its for a short time. it makes the blood sing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linestretcher View Post
    the speed of the drift is the key. If the fish has time to mouth it, he'll probably spit it. If they think it's going to get away, they'll take it softly and try to run with it. So, the bite is like a tug and if you feel that then set the hook and hang on.
    key word>>>hang on!!! >................for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    So as in some of my Post some Know I fish the Lower Moke for steelhead. I hit That river 3 X this Past week for a skunk on MLK day and 1 Wild Buck on Friday and 1 Wild Buck on Sunday along with a 14 Inch and a 12 Inch all wild .OH!! and a Sculptin , 3rd of the year . Go Figure!!, I took my Good Friend Vinny who I Trout fish with when the season Is Open in the state. we do pretty good and he knows how to read the water and is in My mind a good fisherman . never has he ever fished for steelhead . So this year he purchased a Steelhead card and we hit the Moke with me on Sunday.
    as I lost a few and Landed and releases a few . he was getting Frustrated not knowing what he was Doing Wrong. I asked if he was Bouncing Bottom and if he felt any Bites and he says NO!, he says he would know what a Bite felt Like if the Fish itself Slapped him with the tail to his head!I told Him a Steelhead Bite is Not a Trout Bite . Normally a Steelhead is Just Mouthing the Offering and then Spits it out . Its a Delicate touch and a sensitive rod or a Noodle rod works great for steelhead , and all he says is ..I don`t get it !!!!, So My question to you is ,Whats the best way to explain to a newbie on what a steelhead Bite is like ?? or what to look for . so Far The Month Of January 2019 , I`ve fished the Moke 9 Times and i`ll know i`ll hit it again On Thursday . So I know what to look for on this river he doesn't.
    The speed of the drift is the key. If the fish has time to mouth it, he'll probably spit it. If they think it's going to get away, they'll take it softly and try to run with it. So, the bite is like a tug and if you feel that then set the hook and hang on.

11. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How to discribe a Steelhead bite to a newbie????

So as in some of my Post some Know I fish the Lower Moke for steelhead. I hit That river 3 X this Past week for a skunk on MLK day and 1 Wild Buck on Friday and 1 Wild Buck on Sunday along with a 14 Inch and a 12 Inch all wild .OH!! and a Sculptin , 3rd of the year . Go Figure!!, I took my Good Friend Vinny who I Trout fish with when the season Is Open in the state. we do pretty good and he knows how to read the water and is in My mind a good fisherman . never has he ever fished for steelhead . So this year he purchased a Steelhead card and we hit the Moke with me on Sunday.
    as I lost a few and Landed and releases a few . he was getting Frustrated not knowing what he was Doing Wrong. I asked if he was Bouncing Bottom and if he felt any Bites and he says NO!, he says he would know what a Bite felt Like if the Fish itself Slapped him with the tail to his head!I told Him a Steelhead Bite is Not a Trout Bite . Normally a Steelhead is Just Mouthing the Offering and then Spits it out . Its a Delicate touch and a sensitive rod or a Noodle rod works great for steelhead , and all he says is ..I don`t get it !!!!, So My question to you is ,Whats the best way to explain to a newbie on what a steelhead Bite is like ?? or what to look for . so Far The Month Of January 2019 , I`ve fished the Moke 9 Times and i`ll know i`ll hit it again On Thursday . So I know what to look for on this river he doesn't.