Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Natoma- 2-6-19

[QUOTE=Owlman2;1162613]There are definitely small rainbows in Natoma. Many claim that rainbows cannot breed in Natoma, because they have no access to fast moving "spawning" type waters. I personally doubt that, because....you know...."life finds a way"......and the small 'bows have to come from somewhere.

I don't think trout could survive going through the turbines at Folsom, but some might well survive going through the spillways when Folsom is releasing a lot of water in the spring. These would end up in Natoma. I have also caught Chinooks in Natoma, and I assume they must have come from Folsom.[/

Owlman2 is right I have caught lot's of land locked kings on high water years after they opened up the spillway. I believe the majority of the fish come from Folsom and hold over. I think the small bow's come from folsom as well. The strange thing is I have caught fish that looked like they had spawned so who really knows?

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of examples of fish making their way through dams. Oroville had to cut off Coho Plants because of it, and Kokanee make it into Comanche every year from Pardee in big enough numbers to fish for. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen the results for myself. There's also bucket biologists who move fish around thinking they're doing a good thing that causes havoc.

One other thing I've noticed over the years is that fish end up and survive is some very unlikely places. Spent quite a few years in Lake County and there are very small populations of trout in a handful of creeks you'd never guess could hold any. Same in the foothills, way up creeks that go dry intermittently. There are small areas that hold water year round and get enough ground water flow to keep a few fish alive. It's kind of become a thing I do with the kids, on road trips. Stop and take a break at culverts and small creeks. Sit down for 20 minutes and just watch a small creek and you'll see things you'd never guess were there.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Glad to hear you got some nice rainbows, and appreciate the report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexWalker View Post
    Trout can breed in a pretty wide variety of areas. Yes, they have ideal locations, but as long as there is water movement to keep eggs oxygenated, they will survive. I'm sure there are a few places above the bridge that can accommodate.
    I agree...I think they will find a way to get their freak on.

4. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trout can breed in a pretty wide variety of areas. Yes, they have ideal locations, but as long as there is water movement to keep eggs oxygenated, they will survive. I'm sure there are a few places above the bridge that can accommodate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfin View Post
    Shoot they spent how long making that spillway ??? 5 years and I have yet to see any water go down it I believe they have some kinda net or fencing that fish cant get thru too but who knows they find ways . Its funny but a lot of times they release water its at night so we cant see it . I would also think that the channel from the dam to Rainbow Bridge would be Spawning type waters . I sure miss the Folsom Chinooks used to catch em at the Dam Overlook back in the day when you could walk down to that little beach there and Fish before 911 , never thought an Act of Terrorism would take away a fishing spot . Lake was beautiful today the gulls were feeding musta been a couple thousand of them between mormon & the dam water was like glass , gotta love it !!!! Tightlines BF
    When I said spillway, I mean the ones on the original dam.

The huge spillway construction project, if I understand correctly, is primarily for "emergencies". The idea was to increase the lake's dumping capacity, so they can allow Folsom to fill more, then if there is an unexpected storm they have larger dumping capacity to prevent the dam from being over-topped. If water gets high enough to flow over the top of the dam, it would lead to complete failure of the earthen dykes on both sides of the dam, and an almost unimaginable disaster. The projections of the lives that would be lost from a complete failure of Folsom dam are horrifying. Most dams don't sit immediately upstream of a major population center. This was one of the main reasons why Auburn dam was never built. It would have just compounded the risk.

I don't complete understand their reasoning with the new spillway though, because the American river canyon has a limited flow capacity. During the 1986 floods the water level came within a few feet of the tops of the levees....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onenate7 View Post
    Correct. Lake Natoma hasn't been stocked in close to 20 years
    Granted its not stocked now but it hasn't been 20 years. Early 2000s it was stocked heavily for the salmon festival. Either way it's been at least a decade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    There are definitely small rainbows in Natoma. Many claim that rainbows cannot breed in Natoma, because they have no access to fast moving "spawning" type waters. I personally doubt that, because....you know...."life finds a way"......and the small 'bows have to come from somewhere.

I don't think trout could survive going through the turbines at Folsom, but some might well survive going through the spillways when Folsom is releasing a lot of water in the spring. These would end up in Natoma. I have also caught Chinooks in Natoma, and I assume they must have come from Folsom.

Shoot they spent how long making that spillway ??? 5 years and I have yet to see any water go down it I believe they have some kinda net or fencing that fish cant get thru too but who knows they find ways . Its funny but a lot of times they release water its at night so we cant see it . I would also think that the channel from the dam to Rainbow Bridge would be Spawning type waters . I sure miss the Folsom Chinooks used to catch em at the Dam Overlook back in the day when you could walk down to that little beach there and Fish before 911 , never thought an Act of Terrorism would take away a fishing spot . Lake was beautiful today the gulls were feeding musta been a couple thousand of them between mormon & the dam water was like glass , gotta love it !!!! Tightlines BF

9. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Folsom lake is stocked and some stocked trout might make it thru the Folsom turbines? I know of several power turbines near my area in which stocked trout make it thru, even CDFW biologists confirmed it. Not sure of Folsom but the spillway overflow is a sure route to Natoma when it overflows.

Check the trout's tails, some but not all planted trout including older holdovers have evidence of rubbed tails from being raised in concrete hatchery pens.

Unconfirmed but a local tackle shop in Sacto stated a 9lb rainbow was caught recently in Natoma. The shop did state some of Natoma's rainbows were holdovers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 02-07-2019 at 01:41 PM.

11. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are definitely small rainbows in Natoma. Many claim that rainbows cannot breed in Natoma, because they have no access to fast moving "spawning" type waters. I personally doubt that, because....you know...."life finds a way"......and the small 'bows have to come from somewhere.

I don't think trout could survive going through the turbines at Folsom, but some might well survive going through the spillways when Folsom is releasing a lot of water in the spring. These would end up in Natoma. I have also caught Chinooks in Natoma, and I assume they must have come from Folsom.
    Last edited by Owlman2; 02-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.

13. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct. Lake Natoma hasn't been stocked in close to 20 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast