Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper & Tides

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Striper & Tides

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Are yozuris considered flat fish???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, you can google flat-fish or kwikfish to see one. They have a wide slow paced wobble to them. Salmon and steelhead love them, but stripers donít for some reason. Stripers like a very tight fast paced vibration. Opposite ends of the spectrum. No idea why itís the case but itís definitely true. In fall salmon guys troll thousands of hours with flatfish and kwikfish and catch maybe a handful of stripers. Spend the same number of hours pulling up yozuris or rattle-traps and you catch hundreds of stripers.

Kind of counter intuitive when you see stripers hit slow side-to-side action top water plugs, but itís a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers caught on flat fish sound like troll post. Only tight wobble lures; ie: rattle trap or yozuri

Post Thanks / Like

Striped bass just reposition themselves given the structure based on tide. For ex, Slack tide if youíre on top of them they would be more opt to coming up to hit top water and water clarity is at its best. Iíve limited our striper on swimbait on low tide in 15-20 mins before. Main issue is if youíre actually marking striped bass on your FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Not saying a flatfish won't catch stripes, but that's more of a salmon lure than anything. I've seen guys stick stripes on them, but it's not the norm. Anything can happen though, just might have better luck pulling lipless crankbaits like ratltraps or the traditional lipped rebel, rapala or yozuri minnow style plugs.

Hopefully next time out yields more results.
    Are yozuris considered flat fish???

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Iím getting a big breakfast at Mickey Dís and maybe even a Togoís :). So happy I could sleep in on Sunday, busted my butt doing housework and mowing the lawn at 8pm. First trip out this year so hoping for a good one. Hopefully will have something good to post. See you on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

i am mostly a bait fiserman for stripers. in the delta i like a moving tide . it can be tough for me on the out going because of the west wind. blows my boat arround and sometimes back up stream if tide is slow. so with incoming the wind helps my boat stay straight. when i fish up towards sac the early morning till about 11 is the best but i catch fish all day long sometimes
    buzzard

8. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhkevinz View Post
    Update**

Trolled SJ in the morning it was dead!! Tried trolling again from 3-5pm still dead but saw more fish on the finders. Used flat fish with trailer worm.

Not saying a flatfish won't catch stripes, but that's more of a salmon lure than anything. I've seen guys stick stripes on them, but it's not the norm. Anything can happen though, just might have better luck pulling lipless crankbaits like ratltraps or the traditional lipped rebel, rapala or yozuri minnow style plugs.

Hopefully next time out yields more results.

10. Likes Paintguy, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update**

Trolled SJ in the morning it was dead!! Tried trolling again from 3-5pm still dead but saw more fish on the finders. Used flat fish with trailer worm.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing way up the SJ river. I only got 1 fish today, had a decent 5lber or so that got off while i was steering the boat in the current and fighting the fish. Water temperatures are warming up with this heat wave, bite wasnt as good today as it was yesterday. Visibility was over 2 feet, so improving.

13. Likes Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast