Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Knott trailer hub - sealed bearings

I am not knowledgeable at all about spindles, bearings, hubs, etc so am just guessing here. I suppose the Knott axles with sealed bearings have spindle shapes that would make converting to traditional hub/bearings a problem. So, if someone wanted to swap them out, would it take a whole new axle, or ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddundee View Post
    If you want to have bullet proof bearings on your trailer, these hubs are the way to go. Never pull a bearing again. I have been using the same set of barings on my trailer for 28 years without ever having to service them.51ea38130104fdce269263abaa7318b1.jpg

They are all liquid and you can see the oil through the window on the outside of the hub. Unbeatable

https://www.liqualube.com/
    I had the same experience with those hubs. 20 years on a salt water trailer and they never leaked a drop and the oil always came out clean the few times I drained it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to have bullet proof bearings on your trailer, these hubs are the way to go. Never pull a bearing again. I have been using the same set of barings on my trailer for 28 years without ever having to service them.51ea38130104fdce269263abaa7318b1.jpg

They are all liquid and you can see the oil through the window on the outside of the hub. Unbeatable

https://www.liqualube.com/
    Last edited by crawdaddundee; 05-20-2019 at 04:11 AM.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Hello everyone. New here (well kinda - been a few years).

I have had these Knott Water Proof bearings on my last two trailers. Both EZLoader. I contacted EZ Loader about maintenance. They said essentially that they have experienced great success with these knott axles and that they do not require any maintenance. Warned not to open them up and confirmed bearing buddies cannot be used with them.

I have the same concerns expressed by you folks. My current trailer is just approaching one year on the road. I don't have plans to change anything out but will keep a close eye on things and hope EZLoader is right.
    Welcome back, my only suggestion is to purchase a lazer style temp gauge and use it to check temps (works on tires, brakes, bearings, and even engine temps)……..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes redneckpunk, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone. New here (well kinda - been a few years).

I have had these Knott Water Proof bearings on my last two trailers. Both EZLoader. I contacted EZ Loader about maintenance. They said essentially that they have experienced great success with these knott axles and that they do not require any maintenance. Warned not to open them up and confirmed bearing buddies cannot be used with them.

I have the same concerns expressed by you folks. My current trailer is just approaching one year on the road. I don't have plans to change anything out but will keep a close eye on things and hope EZLoader is right.

8. Likes Jetspray, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
    I thought about just replacing them periodically to minimize the risk of failure. I fish alone most of the time and don't want to worry about abandoning my trailer on some remote mountain road due to a poor design.

Thank you guys for helping me decide to just dump this goofy setup. I figured at 2 years and alot of miles it's time to make a decision.
    It kind of reminds me of years ago, I had bought a trailer to haul my 14 ft Gamefisher (Sears) boat and motor. A few years later (very few) the trailer started swaying at times when being towed, I thought something was loose. When I investigated I found that the bolt that held the trailer to the tongue was not case hardened but just a regular bolt and it was almost eaten all the way through. That trailer business was no longer in operation by the time I fixed the problem, gee I wonder why...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about just replacing them periodically to minimize the risk of failure. I fish alone most of the time and don't want to worry about abandoning my trailer on some remote mountain road due to a poor design.

Thank you guys for helping me decide to just dump this goofy setup. I figured at 2 years and alot of miles it's time to make a decision.
    12' Western Aluminum with a 15hp 4stroke

11. Likes Jetspray, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a bearing pulling kit in that presentation I was looking at, I also imagine you would need access to a bearing press to install them. Nothing lasts forever, not even me......Jetspray

13. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally have not heard or read anything good about them. They are sealed units but they definitely don’t last a lifetime. You cannot easily remove them to check them.
    The following is part of a review in which the reviewer was quite unhappy with them -
    When I removed the Knott hub cap today, rusty water dripped out and rust was present. It took a six foot long breaker bar, and me and a neighbor's 240 pounds to remove the retaining nut. We were not able to remove the bearings.

So, be forewarned that Knott hubs are not waterproof as claimed, expensive, and very difficult to be replaced by a non-professional.

Sounds like if they failed on the road you might be up the famous creek. I personally would get rid of them which won’t be easy or cheap.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I looked them up they looked interesting, I did see some bearings that resembled the type I have with bearing buddies in place. Mine is a Rogue trailer. If they do not have a zirc fitting I would assume you can only have bearings pressed into place since they are sealed. Does your spare have the same? You may want to look at just replacing the one's you have and keep a date and miles used log as well as a temp gage to keep an eye on them while traveling...….Jetspray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast