Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minn Kota Terrova - Cracked Shaft

So far so good! Didn’t get a chance to take too many pictures of the progress. I was rushing for daylight. I’ll see if any worth posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Call Sunny’s Electric Marine in Sacramento to see if he has a solution for you. He’s one of the only authorized Minn Kota service centers in the state. For the time of a phone call, it might just be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well then, go with the epoxy solution I gave earlier and you should be fine.

4. Likes Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paintguy View Post
    My Minn Kota Terrova manual says the shaft is covered by a lifetime warranty.

Jerry
    Just asked and they said you need original receipt and proof of purchase for the shaft. They will only provide the “shaft” and not the other pieces connected to it that will likely need to replaced. No labor is included as well. I think I was quoted around $400-$500 for the replacement including parts.

I haven’t had time to work on it so will let you guys know how it goes.

6. Likes Paintguy, LineStretcher, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules100 View Post
    Hello: I think your shaft is under a lifetime guarantee. On some models the shaft is not removable from the motor case, it is one piece and they are not cheap 4/5 hundred...I would check with MinnKota before you attempt to do any repairs. For what is worth

Good Luck
    Hercules
    My Minn Kota Terrova manual says the shaft is covered by a lifetime warranty.

Jerry

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello: I think your shaft is under a lifetime guarantee. On some models the shaft is not removable from the motor case, it is one piece and they are not cheap 4/5 hundred...I would check with MinnKota before you attempt to do any repairs. For what is worth

Good Luck
    Hercules

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a way that it can be heat welded, seen it done on car parts and bumpers. I would re-enforce it with some pipe if possible, but again you would have to remove the motor to do that...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota Terrova - Cracked Shaft

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    It’s a very easy replacement once you get the motor off the bottom of the shaft. Replacements are pretty inexpensive online.
    If you do try to glue it, JB weld is not going to penetrate. You need a very thin glue and drying agent, like what is used on model airplanes. The other option is to grind out the crack to 1/8 wide and use epoxy resin to fill the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’m going to try the 1/8th gap method with a dremel and fill it with marine Loctite. Worse comes to worse I’ll just have to replace the whole shaft if it doesn’t hold up too well.

Thanks for the informative responses everyone! I’ll post some project pictures shortly.

13. Likes AnglingWes, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a very easy replacement once you get the motor off the bottom of the shaft. Replacements are pretty inexpensive online.
    If you do try to glue it, JB weld is not going to penetrate. You need a very thin glue and drying agent, like what is used on model airplanes. The other option is to grind out the crack to 1/8 wide and use epoxy resin to fill the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Likes duhkevinz, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The shaft is carbon fiber. A good 2 part epoxy will repair it if you can get it deep into the crack. Devcon makes a good epoxy that you can get at Lowes. However, before I attempted the repair, I'd call Minnkota and tell them what happened, they may replace it for you.

17. Likes duhkevinz, Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast