Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reel & Rod, Your Recommendation Will be Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    If you can get out to Cotati, Ca., go to the Outdoor Pro Shop and let them know what your looking for. The reason I suggest this method is because they have a broad selection in multiple price points and their staff is very accommodating. All of their staff actually fish and use the gear they'll be recommending.

Even if you have some distance to travel to get there, I think it will be worth the trip.
    I second that. It will be well worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes CaliFishier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can get out to Cotati, Ca., go to the Outdoor Pro Shop and let them know what your looking for. The reason I suggest this method is because they have a broad selection in multiple price points and their staff is very accommodating. All of their staff actually fish and use the gear they'll be recommending.

Even if you have some distance to travel to get there, I think it will be worth the trip.

4. Likes Yearroundfisherman, CaliFishier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Califishier, you kind of remind me of what I went through when I started fishing after a 20+ year layoff. I remember walking into the tackle shop and having to ask the guy what all the different fishing line was about. Pretty confusing so I decided to stick with mono because I didn't want to learn new knots.

Anyway, can't really help you cause I pretty much fish for trout in lakes with gear a lot lighter than you guys are talking about.

BTW, I have an Uglystik from the late 70's. Pretty durable rods.

Enjoy.
    Haha... yes it's a long sad time without fishing, and confusing when getting back in action...
    No problem Ldubs, thank you though!!
    Best!!

Post Thanks / Like

Califishier, you kind of remind me of what I went through when I started fishing after a 20+ year layoff. I remember walking into the tackle shop and having to ask the guy what all the different fishing line was about. Pretty confusing so I decided to stick with mono because I didn't want to learn new knots.

Anyway, can't really help you cause I pretty much fish for trout in lakes with gear a lot lighter than you guys are talking about.

BTW, I have an Uglystik from the late 70's. Pretty durable rods.

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFishier View Post
    Yearround thank you very much! Not sure if someone else will be leaving their opinion, but i actually like your recommendation!
    I hope so. Maybe someone can call me out for being a total Phenix fanboy lol.
    Its just what Ive used over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    Welcome back to the water
    In the areas youve mentioned Im assuming your target species are striper and sturgeon. I always recommend the famous medium heavy 7 foot Uglystick Tiger raded for 15 to 40 lb line. Pair that with a Penn Squall spooled with 200+ yards of the 65 lb braded line of your choice. I run this exact combo for my dad for 5 years now with zero issues. He has landed 8 foot sturgeon and 8 inch striper with it. He also uses it for cod trips and halibut. I also have 3 or 4 of these combos for the guests on the boat that have taken a good beating and are just fine.
    If you want something a bit more fancy Id go with a Phenix Abyss 808 with either the reel mentioned above or a Shimano Tekota 600. The braded line is important here and regardless of your reel dont go below 50 lb brade.
    If you really want to empty your wallet grab up a 7 foot 6 Phenix Black Diamond in medium heavy with a fast action tip. This is my personal rod and I have used it for everything bigger than a catfish. I have it paired with a Shimano TR 2000 that has served me well over 5 years of salt water use. My only complaint is that it is a bit sloppy in the gears when compaired to the Tekota models and especially the Penn. I had to put a after market holder on mine but its given me no issues at all.

Yearround thank you very much! Not sure if someone else will be leaving their opinion, but i actually like your recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bish0p View Post
    You posted in the rod building section. Do you want to build a rod?

Yearroundfisherman made good gear recommendations.
    No Bish0p sorry about that, i need to buy probably 2 rods and reels, and of course the rest of the equipment...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You posted in the rod building section. Do you want to build a rod?

Yearroundfisherman made good gear recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back to the water
    In the areas youve mentioned Im assuming your target species are striper and sturgeon. I always recommend the famous medium heavy 7 foot Uglystick Tiger raded for 15 to 40 lb line. Pair that with a Penn Squall spooled with 200+ yards of the 65 lb braded line of your choice. I run this exact combo for my dad for 5 years now with zero issues. He has landed 8 foot sturgeon and 8 inch striper with it. He also uses it for cod trips and halibut. I also have 3 or 4 of these combos for the guests on the boat that have taken a good beating and are just fine.
    If you want something a bit more fancy Id go with a Phenix Abyss 808 with either the reel mentioned above or a Shimano Tekota 600. The braded line is important here and regardless of your reel dont go below 50 lb brade.
    If you really want to empty your wallet grab up a 7 foot 6 Phenix Black Diamond in medium heavy with a fast action tip. This is my personal rod and I have used it for everything bigger than a catfish. I have it paired with a Shimano TR 2000 that has served me well over 5 years of salt water use. My only complaint is that it is a bit sloppy in the gears when compaired to the Tekota models and especially the Penn. I had to put a after market holder on mine but its given me no issues at all.

12. Likes CaliFishier, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reel & Rod, Your Recommendation Will be Appreciated!

Hello everyone,
    For different reasons i haven't fished since 2009, about 3 years ago i bought an old boat (1983 21' Cabin Sea Ray) to start again but just now i'm ready...
    I'll be fishing most likely Napa River, San Pablo Bay, Suisun, Berryessa, Tomales Bay & Sacramento River, in that order for pretty much any kind of fish.

Please let me know your opinion about reels and rods that today are worth since i'm way behind, and most of the recommendations i've found are also a little old... Thanks for your time!!

14. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post