Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respecting Personal Water Space

Quote Originally Posted by one more cast View Post
    I have been fishing the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers for 50 + years and have not seen a trolling lane sign yet.
    me either.
    I'm lovin' it! Bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rouge View Post
    Oh no! Hope you're not saying I put up my middle finger! I was raised better then that. I may have not been perfect growing up, but as a father I teach my young kids to be respectful and lead by example.
    I think you can breath a sigh of relief. Seebass is referring to a different incident that happened on the Feather River. See his "bozo" post under the general freshwater forum.

Post Thanks / Like

On anchor, up stream100 plus yards,downstream 200 plus yards.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    My problem was the guy saw me raise my hand then came speeding up then stopped and had an attitude about something , guilty by stupidity ? He say me rasie my hand. I could be Italian and talk that way. then gave me the finger . twice when we seen him and the other people waved.
    Oh no! Hope you're not saying I put up my middle finger! I was raised better then that. I may have not been perfect growing up, but as a father I teach my young kids to be respectful and lead by example.

5. Likes Katch, AnglingWes, Waterdog liked this post
    Dislikes zipperman disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kashie View Post
    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

Thank you,

Kashie
    Hi Kashie! I'm Jeff of Soo Hoo Sportfishing. Please accept my apology of fishing too close to you. If this was last Saturday, we did have to dodge about 4 or 5 boats anchored on the line we've been fishing. I gauge as we come up and go by each boat the distance for clearance and quickly drift by knowing I wont interfere with each other and staying on the target line. At no time did I ever give attitude towards any boat especially since everyone has a complete right to be there. If I had actually heard someone being displeased with me being too close, I would've respected them if it was within reason and left. My boat is branded with my business name across it, no way would I want to bring negative attention to myself, so please be assured I wasnt trying to upset you. I was just doing what I do almost everyday....just fishing. I'll make sure I'm more aware of others around me. Again, please accept my apology and if you ever cross paths with me, stop me and introduce yourself. I guarantee your impression of me would change if you actually met me and had a conversation with me. Have a great weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing the San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers for 50 + years and have not seen a trolling lane sign yet.

8. Likes kickinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess I won't complain about water skiers again.

Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes people get de-sensitized to the fishing "bubble". Guides often fish everything from open waters to crammed pack waters. I imagine he was doing what he was comfortable with and didn't realize it was pretty rude in that particular situation. We all have our own annoyances. I particularly hate it when boaters take prime launching dock space to wait for customers or eat lunch or just leave their empty boat tied up there for 45 minutes. To each their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kashie View Post
    Hello Fellow Fisherman,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on this issue. What is a respectable amount of distance a boat should give another boat when fishing? Whenever I look for a spot to anchor down or fish, I always give the other boat at least 50-100 yards in case you get a big fish you don't want tangled into the anchor line. I've been fishing for a very long time and never had any issue until last weekend fishing the Delta. A guide boat Soo Hoo Sportfishing came drifting down my lane as I was anchored up bait fishing. He came withing 30 ft of my boat while drifting minnows and picked up a shaker fish right next to us. There were no other boats in the area. I told him he was a little too close, but he just ignored me. I think even his clients were thinking he was getting a little too close, but I guess people do desperate things when they aren't catching fish. Anyways, what do you think? What is a respectable distance to give each other?

Thank you,

Kashie
    First I'd like to know what did it hurt to have him drift passed you? He was only semi close for a few seconds and no need to get griped up about it. Many times i'll be repeatedly drifting one particular spot and some bozo will come drop anchor right in the middle of the drift. Well so much for that spot and then I'll drift by the guy and he gets all upset. Most of the time I chalk it up to sheer stupidity and move on. Don't care to get pissed off while fishing. I'm out there to have a good day. I say suck it up and try to relax and enjoy yourself and don't try to make rules of etiquette as you go along. The only rule there is out there is no rules and if you can't get use to bozos then stay home and do some gardening.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not taking sides but at times a boat or two will drop anchor right in a trolling lane near the bank. I usually go outboard and around them.

But I've been know to troll between an anchored boat and bank if there's plenty of room without fouling their and my lines.

Then there was a time or two I had hooked up with a keeper Striper between the boat and bank that pissed the anchored boat's captain where they mouth, http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/upl...stead-WTF.webm

Oh well .

13. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast