Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manchester Beach State Park

Motor oil with red flakes are also a good perch bait as well
    dont take life to serious, let go and smile to see what your missing out on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madcityscott View Post
    Do I get the 2" or the 6" sandworms?
    Both work but the 2" is better. Years ago, I believe they only had the 6" so I would cut them.

3. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madcityscott View Post
    The 2" have always worked better for me. I tried the 6" and got hits but missed them. I normally use the camo but carry the red ones and have had luck with them too.
    Last edited by Plug-n-Jug; 06-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ls2goat View Post
    I have a vacation home very close to there so I fish that beach whenever I'm at the house. The main species is red tail perch. I usually use the same size gear that you mentioned. I only use surf gear when the ocean is really rough and I need more than 2oz of weight. For bait, I only use Berkley Saltwater Gulp sandworm in camo color. I fish them on a Carolina rig with #4 octopus hook and 3/4 oz egg sinker. Just cast and retrieve. Sometimes, I also use a high/low rig. It's best fishing the incoming tide in steeper areas of the beach.
    Make sure you take a tape measure because red tail perch have to be 10.5" long.
    Good luck and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips! I'll report back.

Post Thanks / Like

What he said. Carolina rig and gulp sandworms. Take some with you because they’re hard to find over there, or were for me anyway.

One tip I was given was to take the time to walk the beach looking for holes and channels close to shore. They only need to be a foot or two deeper, but they hold perch. Don’t be afraid to walk. If there are fish their they’ll bite.

Enjoy your trip, it’s a great place.

8. Likes OYD12, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a vacation home very close to there so I fish that beach whenever I'm at the house. The main species is red tail perch. I usually use the same size gear that you mentioned. I only use surf gear when the ocean is really rough and I need more than 2oz of weight. For bait, I only use Berkley Saltwater Gulp sandworm in camo color. I fish them on a Carolina rig with #4 octopus hook and 3/4 oz egg sinker. Just cast and retrieve. Sometimes, I also use a high/low rig. It's best fishing the incoming tide in steeper areas of the beach.
    Make sure you take a tape measure because red tail perch have to be 10.5" long.
    Good luck and have fun.

10. Likes Stickman, OYD12, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Manchester Beach State Park

My family is going camping at the KOA by Manchester Beach. What can I expect to catch from the shore?

I have an 8.5' medium action rod with a size 3500 reel. Will that be sufficient or should I invest in a dedicated surf fishing setup?

Any other advice is appreciated! I'm a Wisconsin boy, so surf fishing is new to me.