Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Boat trailer needing repairs

+1 on the work Ed, sounds like you had a good idea that came around when you needed it to...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat trailer needing repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Thanks all for the ideas and help..........

I called dealers, shops, trailer people.....
    all booked solid and June 18th was the first opening, for my minor repair job.
    I guess they all want the big bucks.

Went up to Home Depot and bought some nylon lock nuts, 5/8" Lag screws and washers to
    start over with new stuff.

Swept the cement, blocked the tires, jacked up the transom and tossed down my fluffy sleeping bag.
    Removed the rope the boat was resting on, replaced all the hardware and got things lined up.
    Had the bunk pad together and jack removed in about 45 minutes.
    Not so bad after all................

I am still a little Leary from my neck operation going from a wheelchair to a walker to a cane, to today.
    Being on the ground and being able to get back up is one of my fears but I am getting better at it.

Here fishy, fishy................
    Excellent!! Glad to hear it worked out without too much trouble.

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the ideas and help..........

I called dealers, shops, trailer people.....
    all booked solid and June 18th was the first opening, for my minor repair job.
    I guess they all want the big bucks.

Went up to Home Depot and bought some nylon lock nuts, 5/8" Lag screws and washers to
    start over with new stuff.

Swept the cement, blocked the tires, jacked up the transom and tossed down my fluffy sleeping bag.
    Removed the rope the boat was resting on, replaced all the hardware and got things lined up.
    Had the bunk pad together and jack removed in about 45 minutes.
    Not so bad after all................

I am still a little Leary from my neck operation going from a wheelchair to a walker to a cane, to today.
    Being on the ground and being able to get back up is one of my fears but I am getting better at it.

Here fishy, fishy................

5. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Boat trailer needing repairs

Quote Originally Posted by OYD12 View Post
    Ed, call Jeff on Linda Way to get a quote if they repair trailers (825-7547). You know we get decent service form them on our outboards. Custom Marine advertises they repair trailers but we know they are expensive and sometimes the work is so-so.
    I would expect some trailer repair shops in town also repair boat trailers for other quotes.
    Then we can price out the parts for replacing the bunks and guide on brackets so you can determine whether it is worth the agony to do it yourself or with some young helpers.
    If Boca were not shut down, it would be a doable job in that parking lot but it is not so convenient at the lots for some of our other local lakes.
    Very cool +1 on finding something close to Ed. I would not attempt it myself either, just don't know too much around the McCarrin loop to get things done in that area. Ed has been through some back issues and I have much the same problem. Way cool to post that......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing bunks is a pretty simple job. If I was to do it I’d launch the boat somewhere and do the job in the parking lot. I would not lift the boat and crawl under it, too dangerous. For tools all you need is a portable drill, socket set and a screw driver. I think you’d be much better off to just take it somewhere and have it done. Cost a little more but way less hassle and you have a pro do it right.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    The starboard board on the trailer is finally dropping all its rear lag bolts!!

Tied the loose item up with a rope to get it where I could put the boat
    on after fishing and made it home, but now what !!

Does the boat need to be jacked up off the bunk to fix the problem or do I
    need to bite the bullet and take it to a boat/trailer shop?

I'm too old to start crawling under trailers...........

Shop or Cash to a Reno helper...?
    Ed, call Jeff on Linda Way to get a quote if they repair trailers (825-7547). You know we get decent service form them on our outboards. Custom Marine advertises they repair trailers but we know they are expensive and sometimes the work is so-so.
    I would expect some trailer repair shops in town also repair boat trailers for other quotes.
    Then we can price out the parts for replacing the bunks and guide on brackets so you can determine whether it is worth the agony to do it yourself or with some young helpers.
    If Boca were not shut down, it would be a doable job in that parking lot but it is not so convenient at the lots for some of our other local lakes.
    Last edited by OYD12; 06-05-2019 at 09:14 AM.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Boat trailer needing repairs

"DARWIN"

Nope, Ed speaks the truth of what us old geezers are capable of. I would take it to a trailer dealer here in town as there are a couple of them that do that type of work. On this side of the mountain there are just not a bunch of marine dealers/shops to do work, but there are some trailer repair places that might do it. I have a Rogue trailer like Ed's and the bunks are not wood. I wish him the best of luck in any case......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mr Ed;1167511]The starboard board on the trailer is finally dropping all its rear lag bolts!!

Tied the loose item up with a rope to get it where I could put the boat
    on after fishing and made it home, but now what !!

Does the boat need to be jacked up off the bunk to fix the problem or do I
    need to bite the bullet and take it to a boat/trailer shop?

I'm too old to start crawling under trailers...........

Shop or Cash to a Reno helper...?[/QUOT

DARWIN

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed if you have a floor jack and some wood blocks you can chock the wheels and lift the boat on one side supporting the weight long enough to replace one side at a time. Just be safe my friend......Jetspray

15. Likes Stranger, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You take it to a lake, launch the boat then replace the boards

Or

Raise the boat off the trailer, pull the trailer out then replace the boards.
    Rather easy but time consuming.

Here's how I've done it on three previous boats including a 29' Pontoon boat.
    And at 74 yrs young, I'm about to do it again by myself on my current 23.5' Duckworth trailer to replace the boards. Why you ask? It's because I have more time on my hand than money .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RAwXtVr0U4

17. Likes Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast