Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mountains to the flat lands.

Awesome. Thank you guys for the advise. I just gotta get this day or work over, and i'll be out on the water.
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the prior post. It’s typically done drifting with the current from a boat and you’ll want to be ticking bottom every so often. You can also slowly troll down stream with the same method.

Ive also done it with a slip float if I want fish shallow water and keep the boat off the top of them. Same technique as bobber fishing for Steelhead. In that case I do away with the dropper and just attach the weight to the swivel, or use an egg sinker above a swivel.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Live minnow rig. Three way swivel 18" to weight 1/2 oz. 16" to hook. I don't like to hook minnows through their mouths because it restricts water to their gills making them less lively. I hook behind dorsal fin, seems to keep them livelier.
    Good luck.
    DB

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious, how do you guys "Float minnows" for striper fishing? Just took'em through the jaw, couple foot leader, and bobber? Or no bobber and let them go? Going to head out tomorrow evening and spend a few hours....

Post Thanks / Like

When in Rome fish as the Romans do.....

The Delta is one of most diverse fisheries in the Country. Stripers get a bunch of attention as do Salmon and Sturgeon but there are a bunch of other fun fish too. Largemouth can be world class, there are a bunch of smallmouth in sections, crappie are around and some folks fish just for bluegill and catfish. Pretty much something to catch year round. Trapping crawdads and mud suckers for bait is a good way to kill a day too. Check out posts here, look at YouTube and you’ll get all kinds of ideas.

Get out and enjoy it as often as you can, it’s an amazing place.

7. Likes Paintguy, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinJeeper View Post
    Sometime in the recent past, I made the unfortinate, and temporary, transitition from Mountain-Man to Flat-Lander. Not cool to say the least. I love my trout and kokanee fishing, and I'm usually never skunked. So after a massive logging accident, I have to spend a few years down here healing. I haven't caught ANYTHING in the delta in this last year. That was until today. I landed, in the boat, about 15 stripers in 1.5 hours. WOW, that was fun! Biggest was 17.5 inches, so no keepers, but that's ok! Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow! I was using anchovies while anchored.
    Hey Mr. Jeeper, I too was raised in the mountains fishing for trout and kokes, but since moving to the Sacramento region in seemed to me a wasted opportunity to not at least try some striper fishing on the Delta. It can be a real blast. Congratulations on pushing though all of the skunk days and finding a way to catch fish. Beginner's luck not withstanding, success in fishing really does go to those that put their time in. I'm looking forward to more posts.

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeap chase them schools. There while be good shad fishing right now roo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mountains to the flat lands.

Sometime in the recent past, I made the unfortinate, and temporary, transitition from Mountain-Man to Flat-Lander. Not cool to say the least. I love my trout and kokanee fishing, and I'm usually never skunked. So after a massive logging accident, I have to spend a few years down here healing. I haven't caught ANYTHING in the delta in this last year. That was until today. I landed, in the boat, about 15 stripers in 1.5 hours. WOW, that was fun! Biggest was 17.5 inches, so no keepers, but that's ok! Looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow! I was using anchovies while anchored.