Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather conditions in SF bay?

I don't buy live bait but troll with frozen tray herring. I use a single hook up front and a 5/0 stinger on the tail. I'd say 90% of my fish are hooked on the stinger hook.

So yes I'd put a stinger hook on the tail. I also tie them with 50lb mono, I was losing a few fish due to their sharp teeth on 25lb mono.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

2. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update! I bought one of those drift socks to slow down the drift in the wind, maybe it will help! I'll keep you guys updated on how we do. Also, what are your thoughts on using a stinger treble vs. just one single live bait hook for halibut?

Post Thanks / Like

Windfinder website is a good resource for forecasts....

Post Thanks / Like

It's windy there today and will probably windy again this weekend. Typical summer weather or SF Bay. The halibut has mostly moved to the Berkeley Flats and towards Paradise and Angel Island. The south bay will be calmer but I haven't seen the party boats working that area in a few weeks.

I use the NOAA Buoy Data Center to monitor winds conditions a few days before heading out. Just pick a buoy and it'll give you the current wind conditions.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=ppxc1
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

6. Likes LONO100, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I launched out of Berkeley last Monday and fished the flats. It was rough as usual but manageable. I fish out of a 16.5' V-hull multi-species boat and we were able to get in and out safely. Just put safety first, don't be too cool for a life jacket, bring a radio, and don't be afraid to call it once the wind picks up which it usually does by lunch time. Forecasts this Saturday looks similar to what I saw last Monday. Stay safe, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Weather conditions in SF bay?

Hello Guys,

Anyone been out lately? Planning a trip this Saturday with live bait, but not sure how fishable these areas are in the wind and the drift. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12