Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thieves

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thieves

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    I have Scotty's ... I hope I don't need to put a regular nylon nut on them to slow down the removal process, because that'll be a pain for me to have to do when I remove my down riggers for storage reasons.
    When stowage, leave the bases screwed on with the 5/16" x 1-1/4" long Button Head caps.
    Just use 3/8" x 5" regular Allen head bolts that holds the downriggers to the base. So all you'll have to remove is that one 3/8" bolt to detach the riggers. Piece of cake.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

2. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    I bought regular Stainless Button Head Screws from Amazon 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

I bought regular Stainless 3/8" x 6" Allen head screws but I cut the head off on both Allen and Button then brought to a welder who heliarc welded the button head onto the long 3/8" x 6" lg Allen head bolt. I also screwed a Nylock nut on the end.

The advantage of the Button head is that it can't be unscrewed using a vise grip or pliers...only an Allen wrench will.

Keep in mind, this is MY way of safe guarding my Scotty's while enroute to and from fishing. So unless thieves carries allen wrenches...then the downriggers shouldn't walk away .

As Jetspray mentioned, a dremmel will quickly grind/cut a single lock but it'll take a while to use on four Stainless Button Head screws.
    Ah, thanks. Very clever way to get some added security.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the idea of replacing the thumb screws with the button allen head, but I remove mine down riggers while at storage and I have to admit I'd be lazy to do sixteen screws.

Maybe I can just replace one of them on each down rigger to prevent easy walk offs.
    Seon is a go to guy, he has been through a bunch of stuff over the years. Anything that adds to time will catch those who wish to take what is yours and I believe in the 2nd amendment as well, it protects life, liberty and property. Guess what criminals can do, just look at mass shootings, they are all in "gun free zones" or as I say "Gun Kill Zones".....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

5. Likes Hookem2004, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    This is a really good idea - thanks.

Where did you source these? Also, curious if you replaced the "tilt up" pivot bolt with one of these?

I really like the idea of replacing the thumb screws with the button allen head, but I remove mine down riggers while at storage and I have to admit I'd be lazy to do sixteen screws.

Maybe I can just replace one of them on each down rigger to prevent easy walk offs.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

7. Likes Jetspray, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post

Where did you source these? Also, curious if you replaced the "tilt up" pivot bolt with one of these?
    I bought regular Stainless Button Head Screws from Amazon 5/16" x 1-1/4" long.

I bought regular Stainless 3/8" x 6" Allen head screws but I cut the head off on both Allen and Button then brought to a welder who heliarc welded the button head onto the long 3/8" x 6" lg Allen head bolt. I also screwed a Nylock nut on the end.

The advantage of the Button head is that it can't be unscrewed using a vise grip or pliers...only an Allen wrench will.

Keep in mind, this is MY way of safe guarding my Scotty's while enroute to and from fishing. So unless thieves carries allen wrenches...then the downriggers shouldn't walk away .

As Jetspray mentioned, a dremmel will quickly grind/cut a single lock but it'll take a while to use on four Stainless Button Head screws.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the "thumb screws" with these button allen bolts. Unless the perp has the correct size allen wrench then my Scotty's are safe when making pits stops going to and from fishing trips.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Thieves

Ya think it was Yogi and Boo boo who took the lunch basket?

No, just a couple of local thief morons that the cops already had trouble with, I think they knew where to go. The only bears I have seen in a campsite, over the years, would have been willing to kill and eat any of us with no problem at all (unless you count in the 44 magnum I usually carry).Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

That really sucks. I have Scotty's and when you think about it it doesn't take long to loosen the four bolts to get them off. I hope I don't need to put a regular nylon nut on them to slow down the removal process, because that'll be a pain for me to have to do when I remove my down riggers for storage reasons.

I always worry about fishing rods and reels getting stolen at a traffic light. I use to lay them with the tips up against the transom and now lay all my rods flat on the floor so they are more difficult to grab.
    I have cable lock's for my Cannon's but a thief with a dremmel tool (battery operated) could remove them with a bunch of sparks and noise, but again they ain't that smart. I can cut case hardened nuts & bolts with mine easily. You might want your bolt with a drill hole in it so that when you tighten down the setup you will be able to put a cotter pin through that hole with maybe a stainless pin, it will slow them down quite a bit......Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

That really sucks. I have Scotty's and when you think about it it doesn't take long to loosen the four bolts to get them off..
    I replaced the "thumb screws" with these button allen bolts. Unless the perp has the correct size allen wrench then my Scotty's are safe when making pits stops going to and from fishing trips.

14. Likes Jetspray, Hookem2004, redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    ... The car was unlocked and they took the basket and a few other things. ...He was able to get the basket back .....Jetspray
    Ya think it was Yogi and Boo boo who took the lunch basket?

16. Likes Jetspray, Paintguy, HeartHarlez liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast