Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sac metro salmon update

First off .... A 17lb Salmon is NOT considered a Jack , a Jack IMO is anything under about 8lbs ...
    I'm still hoping for that big push too but it better happen soon ... And I'm happy to see an empty parking lot for a change at least where I fish it would be nice ... Last few seasons were nice , hardly anyone fishing but this yrs been ridiculous ... A lot of them just like running there loud Ass v8s up and down the river spooking the fish .... Making catching them much more difficult especially weekends .... I wish people had a little common sense but that is a thing of the past ... for the majority
    Nice your Step dad and son caught fish ... Thinking if there's a push coming it will be mid to end of Oct ....AK fish were bout a month late this yr from what my buddy that lives up there told me ...so let's hope it happens soon
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkerPunker View Post
    Arrived at Verona on 10/5 and was surprised to see a fairly vacant parking lot. Not many fishermen for this time of year for a Saturday. You know the fishing is slow when only a few even show up to attempt to stick one. I am grateful to the fishing Gods for putting a 17 pound jack on my stepdadís rod last Wednesday and another 14 pound hen on my 15 year old sonís stick for his first salmon ever this trip! Silvertrons were the ticket. Iím a little worried that the ďbig pushĒ of fish may not come as expected, but Iíll still be on the water either way. Fish are my drug and the river is my drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Arrived at Verona on 10/5 and was surprised to see a fairly vacant parking lot. Not many fishermen for this time of year for a Saturday. You know the fishing is slow when only a few even show up to attempt to stick one. I am grateful to the fishing Gods for putting a 17 pound jack on my stepdadís rod last Wednesday and another 14 pound hen on my 15 year old sonís stick for his first salmon ever this trip! Silvertrons were the ticket. Iím a little worried that the ďbig pushĒ of fish may not come as expected, but Iíll still be on the water either way. Fish are my drug and the river is my drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree slow day today saw 2 hookups both came unbuttoned at shore (Combat Fishing) as I spent half my time on shore prefoming a retie. Then hooking up a fellow fisherman with a fly'n C set up after we got crossed and had to cut lines. 20 minutes later I hookup and it stuck for a fully chromed out Betty weighted 12 lbs. Pic will come later. As in the words "put your time in and you will get the rewards" or is it just "Karma"? You decide.
    20191006_Candy.jpg20191005_sac river.jpg
    keep'em tight
    Last edited by Bankie; 10-07-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: pics

Post Thanks / Like

Today seemed like a very slow day. Had one hook up from jigging and no hook up trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

Fire Medic, if you are going out alone, and looking to fish with a partner. I always have room on my boat if schedules line up. I mainly fish the feather tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBrown View Post
    When the salmon hits are you leaving the rod in the rod holder and cranking the reel 3-5 times until the rod tip loads up (to insure a good hook set)? My landing rate improved dramatically after doing so. Good luck!

Miss your reports, good advise

Post Thanks / Like

When the salmon hits are you leaving the rod in the rod holder and cranking the reel 3-5 times until the rod tip loads up (to insure a good hook set)? My landing rate improved dramatically after doing so. Good luck!

8. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    Yea that might be the main problem. Iíve been tightening the drag when i hook the fish and then bring them in real quick. Then we lose them at the net. Iíll try to keep the drag looser and hopefully I can get them in the boat!
    Your drag should be set so you're never adjusting it during a battle. You're losing your fish because you're locking down your drag and trying to horse a fish in. What's the point of fishing if you don't allow the fish to fight. The worst thing you can do it bring a hot fish to the boat. Keep the fish away from the boat until its ready

10. Likes bigfin, murph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfrank View Post
    Salmon have relatively soft mouths, compared to rockfish or tuna, most of my 45 years of experience salmon fishing has been in the ocean with quite a bit of difference in conditions compared to the rivers. That being said, you might get away with cranking a few in, but if they canít run, youíll pop off more then youíll land. In the ocean a tight drag is not your friend.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the info !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Medic View Post
    Yea that might be the main problem. Iíve been tightening the drag when i hook the fish and then bring them in real quick. Then we lose them at the net. Iíll try to keep the drag looser and hopefully I can get them in the boat!
    Salmon have relatively soft mouths, compared to rockfish or tuna, most of my 45 years of experience salmon fishing has been in the ocean with quite a bit of difference in conditions compared to the rivers. That being said, you might get away with cranking a few in, but if they canít run, youíll pop off more then youíll land. In the ocean a tight drag is not your friend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast