Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on how to get into the trolling game...

Only way to know how long a battery will last is to give it a try. A lot has to do with the motor and battery. If you’ve got the room, a second battery is the way to go.

As for electric downriggers, my opinion is they are a luxury, not a necessity. They’re not any more effective, just less of a workout. I regularly crank 12 pound pancake weights Mack fishing 100’+ in slightly more than a minute. My 10 year old daughter can do it in a little over 2 minutes (yes that’s me taking a jab at my fellow geezers). But, I’m also cheap and like to limit the number of things that can go wrong. Lots of stories about bad plugs, blown fuses, motor failures, broken drive belts etc. All that said a buddy has them and it is indeed nice to just hit the switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the all the awesome advice guys!

Since I completely rebuilt the boat from the floor up I redid all the electrical. The outboard and house (fish finder, lights, radio ect.) are on two different isolated batteries with a switch that can be combined if need be. The trolling motor is hooked up to its own 100ah battery. I have not actually tried trolling with just the motor... would you guys have any idea how long it may last (its an older power drive1 70lb)? I have a two bank charger installed up front for the trolling battery so putting another 100ah battery up front wont be an issue... except for the added weight but I think it should be ok. Looks like I should start looking for some electric down riggers... Really appreciate all the help thus far!

Post Thanks / Like

I run my 2 Scotty downriggers off of my starter battery and my Xi5 trolling motor off of 2-12v batteries in the floor. I've never ran out of juice in either setup in a single day, but they're also pretty new. I do all my trolling using the trolling motor. I do suggest getting a $10 cigarette adapter USB charger that keeps track of voltage for the starter battery. Using one of these will let you know exactly where you are with the starter battery throughout the day. Get familiar with voltage=percentage reading for your setup. I think some even change color when you get low:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I'm on the subject, I also added one of these to my 24v trolling motor setup. It has various options, but I have it set to shut down automatically so there's no draw until you hit the power button. Now I know exactly where my trolling motor batteries are in real time at the helm. An actual voltage reading is far better than the red/yellow/green LED on the motorguide:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a boat where weight could be an issue, 2-6v batteries don't really make sense. I think they'd ultimately last longer before failing than a single 12v, but at 50-60lbs each (plus space, weight balance, etc) it's too big of a trade off for me. In general, I believe 2-6v can handle more discharge a little better then a single cheap 12v battery. A lot of motor homes/trailers use the double 6v option for their coach batteries for this reason.

My last word of advice is to make sure you have a way of swapping your trolling motor battery out for your starter battery while on the water. A quick disconnect, 1/2" socket, etc. This is good insurance that may save your butt if you ever have a starter battery failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LunkerPunker View Post
    Try two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series. That will give you your 12 volts and double your capacity to keep you fishing all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You double the voltage to 12 volts by wiring 2 6 volt batteries in series but the capacity stays the same. It doesn’t make any sense to have 2 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt. What you need is one 12 volt marine battery for starting the engine , the instruments, lights and one 12 volt deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. You can run the down rigger off the starter battery or get a separate battery dedicated to the DR.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Try two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series. That will give you your 12 volts and double your capacity to keep you fishing all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple suggestions. For now forget about a kicker. Stick with your electric for trolling. If the battery doesn’t last very long then your battery is probably nearing the end of its battery life. Get a new battery and a second battery for trolling. Way cheaper than getting a gas kicker. Trolling with an electric you’ll enjoy the silence and it’s more dependable. It’s nice to to have a kicker as a back up to get you home in case your main motor fails. But kickers are expensive to buy and maintain. Every year they require some maintenance, spark plugs, filters, lower unit maintenance etc etc.
    You really need to consider electric down riggers. They ain’t cheap but worth every penny. Don’t even think about manual riggers. You’ll end up wasting your money, getting rid of them and buying electrics. You can use lead core but you won’t be able to go as deep not get the same depth accuracy. Sometimes in the hot summers I’ve fished as deep as 120’ for kokes and 110’ for trout (at lake Shasta). Just get electric DR’s, you’ll be glad you did.
    For trolling reels you really need a line counter reel. My favorite is the Shimano Tekota reel but they are a little expensive at around $200 each. Look at the Daiwa Accudepth line counters. You can find them under $100 and they are very good reels.
    Finally a really great (and cheap)Kokanee and trout trolling rod is the Eagle Claw Feather Lite Kokanee rod. I bought a couple of them a year ago for around $25 at BassPro . I have other expensive trolling rods but the Eagle Claw is one of my favorites.
    Lastly find a good trout/koke guide and go out with him for a day. I can’t emphasize this enough. You will learn more about trout/Koke/down rigger fishing in a day than you will in years of trial and error on your own.
    Good luck, tight lines.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 10-16-2019 at 01:45 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

My preference is Abu Garcia 5500, an Uglystik 7’ ultra lite rod and 10# Maxima ultra green. Very dependable reels, almost unbreakable rod. The reason for the 10# line is it’s less prone to twisting and tangling. Also less susceptible to knicks that happen around cables and clips.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Far and away, the best budget rod I've found is the Eagle Claw Kokanee. It's like $19 from Walmart. I've caught a LOT of fish with it. Don't think you need to spend a fortune for good rod/reel setups. I have Okuma reels on everything I use. I LOVE the clicker so when you drop the ball it's hands free on the rod. A nice thing to have when you stack 2 rods on 1 downrigger. My current favorite reel for Kokanee is the Okuma Convector line counter size 15. That reel with my Eagle Claw rod is my favorite setup. I also have the Okuma Aveon combo and it's nice, but the combo I mentioned beats it hands down for about the same price. I'd even look at saving a little more and getting the Okuma Magda reel in the same size. All together that setup would be about $60.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    A 4 stroke troll motor would be nice to have..... but

a new battery for that Electric troll motor would be a lot cheaper way to get down to .9 to 1.7 mph for kok's.

Down riggers are also nice to have but as mentioned.........
    leadcore and regular old lead weights from 3/8oz up to 3 oz. will get your gear to the fish.

The "Fish Finder" is the #1 unit that you will need to locate and catch kokanee.
    anything else is just improvements..............

Good fishing.

True True... I was thinking about the trolling motor battery as well... might be another option at some point.
    The wife gave me a Simrad Go7XSR for my birthday last year so the one new thing on the boat is the fish finder.

Post Thanks / Like

Reels--the 4600 Abu Garcia with clicker is one many koke fishermen use. For multi-specie, get the slightly larger Abu 5500. Both are around $60-100, if you get them on sale. If you don't like or want a reel with a clicker, a standard bait casting reel used for bass fishing will work great (I have four Daiwa Lexa 100's). Decent ones start around $70-80. Might try looking on craigslist or ebay for used reels, might be surprised what you can find while also saving money.

Rods--the rod of choice seems to be a 7-7'6" ultralight/light powered rod with a moderate action. Price varies from about $40 (Shakespeare) to over a hundred depending on brand. Fisherman's Warehouse will usually have a nice selection at different price points. Might want to look on craigslist or ebay too.

You will get many different opinions on rods and reels. Just have to figure out what you really need/want and how much you are willing to spend, then have fun buying and trying.

12. Likes Cal1319 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast