Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fall in the Sierras

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Yep that is why I have propane and BBQ's available. My son and his family benefited from receiving most of our camping gear (which was a large amount). True about showers, but we can heat water to have bath's if needed. I lived through many earthquakes in the Bay Area including the 1989 quake that took down the Cypress Section of the 880 freeway. Amazing thing is how little it was occupied with the "Cross the Bay" World Series, that section of the freeway would have been packed in both directions (along with the Bay Bridge)…….Jetspray
    I remember that day very well. it was a miracle that many more lives were not lost with the collapse of the Cypress section and the upper deck of the Bay Bridge. There were thousands of guardian angels earning their pay that afternoon.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Star Re: Fall in the Sierras

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good point about gas delivery in a power outage. if your home is heated with natural gas and/or you cook with it, having a back-up generator for electricity will still leave some gaps in daily operations. Having a good propane cooking station will help, but bathing and showering would have to be done "campground style." Having said that, you are still much better prepared than 97% of the general population. Thanks for the post!
    Yep that is why I have propane and BBQ's available. My son and his family benefited from receiving most of our camping gear (which was a large amount). True about showers, but we can heat water to have bath's if needed. I lived through many earthquakes in the Bay Area including the 1989 quake that took down the Cypress Section of the 880 freeway. Amazing thing is how little it was occupied with the "Cross the Bay" World Series, that section of the freeway would have been packed in both directions (along with the Bay Bridge)…….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

4. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Great post, I do not do pic's either. One thing I did when I moved here to Gardnerville was purchase a 6,800 watt Onan generator (gasoline) to power the house if it went out. I chose gasoline because I could store it for the winter, and put additive in it to keep it mixed. I had a contractor install a new power box with a massive ground system and a 4 prong "RV" plug. I can run a 4 prong extension cord to the generator and power the whole home. Thing is if the electrical power does go down, it can affect gas delivery to a home, I'm just saying.......Jetspray
    Good point about gas delivery in a power outage. if your home is heated with natural gas and/or you cook with it, having a back-up generator for electricity will still leave some gaps in daily operations. Having a good propane cooking station will help, but bathing and showering would have to be done "campground style." Having said that, you are still much better prepared than 97% of the general population. Thanks for the post!

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post, I do not do pic's either. One thing I did when I moved here to Gardnerville was purchase a 6,800 watt Onan generator (gasoline) to power the house if it went out. I chose gasoline because I could store it for the winter, and put additive in it to keep it mixed. I had a contractor install a new power box with a massive ground system and a 4 prong "RV" plug. I can run a 4 prong extension cord to the generator and power the whole home. Thing is if the electrical power does go down, it can affect gas delivery to a home, I'm just saying.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! Where’s the pics? I plan to head up hwy 4 in about 10 days and hit the same lakes. I haven’t fished Highland lakes for several years but when I did they were loaded with brookies but all were dinks. Fun catching them on ultralight or fly rods. My favorite lake in that area is Union lake a small mountain lake off Spicer road. Drop dead gorgeous lake. Got a new kayak I want to try out. I’ll post after my trip.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

love it and thank you for the post!

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fall in the Sierras

Drove through several foothill communities that had the power cut off on our way up Highway 4 yesterday (October 10) to explore, fish and enjoy the beauty of Fall in the Sierras. The great news is that the power had been restored by the time we came back down the hill around 5:00 p.m. Although many businesses remained closed, because their work force had been sent home! My heart goes out to the folks who will be without power for several more days yet. Hard to feed your family when your business is shuttered for days by governmental fiat.

Short story; we tried fishing for brookies at the first Highland Lake, south of Hwy 4 in the Hermit Valley) it was 33 degrees and very windy. Hiked along the Eastern shore to find a wind break and lasted about 90 minutes with no bites.
    Next stop; Lake Alpine. We managed to catch 13 rainbows (several with no erosion on the fins and beautiful square tails.) Three of those were big enough to have pink meat. We brought a few home to eat. All fish were caught using a sliding sinker rig with 4 foot leaders, using power eggs. No hits on spoons or spinners, but that was tough sledding due to the wind.

If you can carve out a day in the next couple of weeks to get up into the Sierras I would highly recommend it. The "fall bite" is on, the fish are feeding right through the day, and doing so aggressively.