Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pyramid Jigs?

Thanks to all for the education. We'll be hitting the Mid Mon-Thur this week.
    2017 18' Allied Spitfire w/red stripe 115 & 9.9 Yamaha. "Cold Beer & Conversation" GS

2. Likes Jetspray, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pyramid Jigs?

That's a great idea MKE, I like the area you are in as well. Great pic's.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

4. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxumfishin View Post
    Okay, I have a stupid question I've always wanted to ask. Everything i've read from fishery "experts" is that jigging on this lake kills the fish but this depends on depth. I can't imagine this to be true because the Paiute nation wouldn't stand for it. I've seen the fish recovery boxes but in watching jiggers land fish i've never seen anyone use one. Not a hater just trying to learn something foreign to me.

At what depth is too deep and have you found any of this to be true? . Just curious because I will never Jig, I just have to be moving or trolling. I know it's very productive this time of year, but I just gotta cover the lake.
    I never have any issues with a blown up air bladder with fish as deep as 60'-65'. Deeper then that is when it becomes an issue and you'll spend most of your time trying to revive the fish or use a decender. 30'-60' I use a 2oz. Lazer Minnow anything shallower I use a 1oz. Laser minnow. I start off with a nightmare aero jig tied on with a Palomar knot (swimbaits work on top as well) with a 5' tag then I tie on the laser minnow. Here's a picture of my first 2 fish this year and it does happen once or twice a day when using 2 jigs.
    Last edited by MKE; 10-12-2019 at 06:34 AM.

6. Likes hooks, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pyramid Jigs?

Main thing for depth is that the fish air bladders do not adjust well when they come up from the depths while trolling deep or jigging deep. They stage along the shelves in the morning to do this when coming up from the depths. They troll the shoreline to catch the food they like to eat. The lake is very alkaline as shown by the amounts of tuffa formations along the shore. I think this also slows the release of air in their bladders. I also just net fish there because pulling on the jaw or putting your hands behind their gill plates does a bunch of damage to them. If I have any floater behind the boat for whatever reason we turn around and make sure they revive.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes jjb, okie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxumfishin View Post
    Okay, I have a stupid question I've always wanted to ask. Everything i've read from fishery "experts" is that jigging on this lake kills the fish but this depends on depth. I can't imagine this to be true because the Paiute nation wouldn't stand for it. I've seen the fish recovery boxes but in watching jiggers land fish i've never seen anyone use one. Not a hater just trying to learn something foreign to me.

At what depth is too deep and have you found any of this to be true? . Just curious because I will never Jig, I just have to be moving or trolling. I know it's very productive this time of year, but I just gotta cover the lake.
    Some say 30 no deeper
    Ive caught them deeper and they seam to do ok

Ive caught them in 10 and they float sometimes

Some say 3% of released fish die no mater what

I like trolling too. Easier on my shoulders both have had surgery
    Plus my boat is small and its a little sketchy to stand up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

10. Likes Hookum Greg, Jetspray, okie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hand painted with a brush

You can find glo paints on line easily

Some of those I painted maybe 15 years ago others I bought

The Macks in Tahoe like glo

Cutts Seam to like them but they hit reg lures just as often

I like to use the glo in deeper water or low light times

Im testing uv flash too

Fishing those jig heads from a ladder is effective mix up the retrieval

Catch ya later ... hooks

12. Likes Hookum Greg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooks, did you paint the glows? They are awesome. Fun Hobby for days when we can't fish. Thanks for the suggestion on technique of subtle rod lifts.
    Last edited by Hookum Greg; 10-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

2017 18' Allied Spitfire w/red stripe 115 & 9.9 Yamaha. "Cold Beer & Conversation" GS

15. Likes Hookum Greg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch ya later ... hooks

17. Likes Hookum Greg, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget a few of these

And these

Catch ya later ... hooks