Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New California law

Quote Originally Posted by GW208 View Post
    That's what I was thinking WD. We need to try a part time legislature, maybe 6 months in session every other year. Even if that didn't force them to focus on our serious problems, it would give them less time to sit around dreaming up feel good stuff that always ends up causing bigger problems.
    Spot on!
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    California has sooo many problems and the legislature and governor are spending time on road kill legislation.
    That's what I was thinking WD. We need to try a part time legislature, maybe 6 months in session every other year. Even if that didn't force them to focus on our serious problems, it would give them less time to sit around dreaming up feel good stuff that always ends up causing bigger problems.

4. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: New California law

Find a sense of humor, my response was obviously meant as humor.
    However from the little I know about the law it’s probably a bad idea. The estimated 20000 road kill deer a year , very very few people will pull it off the side of the highway and eat it. It will make poaching easier for poachers. Yes officer these 3 pheasant flew right into the bumper of my truck. Yes officer I found this 8 point on the side of the road. I guess the bullet hole came from some hunter that wasn’t able to track him. Yes officer this out of season doe got hit by the guy in front of me , I don’t know how the arrow got lodged in her shoulder.
    Besides no animal or bird that dies on the highway or elsewhere goes to waste. It all gets eaten by everything from foxes, coyotes, raccoons, various birds to multiple insects etc etc which is part of nature’s cycle of life.
    I admit I haven’t read the entire law but from what I know and understand I don’t think this is especially great legislation. California has sooo many problems and the legislature and governor are spending time on road kill legislation.
    All you have to do is get a bean bag round in your shotgun, hit the animal so they drop, then take a baseball bat and beat them to death. You say "sorry officer I hit it with my car/truck", just make sure the area "looks like" you hit the animal (you could also smear some blood on the hood).....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    If you read that they estimate 20000 deer get hit by cars each year it’s probably a good idea to harvest the meat that’s not damaged rather than waste it. I really doubt most people wouldn’t risk damaging their car or lives by purposely hitting big game animals. I don’t think this is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Find a sense of humor, my response was obviously meant as humor.
    However from the little I know about the law it’s probably a bad idea. The estimated 20000 road kill deer a year , very very few people will pull it off the side of the highway and eat it. It will make poaching easier for poachers. Yes officer these 3 pheasant flew right into the bumper of my truck. Yes officer I found this 8 point on the side of the road. I guess the bullet hole came from some hunter that wasn’t able to track him. Yes officer this out of season doe got hit by the guy in front of me , I don’t know how the arrow got lodged in her shoulder.
    Besides no animal or bird that dies on the highway or elsewhere goes to waste. It all gets eaten by everything from foxes, coyotes, raccoons, various birds to multiple insects etc etc which is part of nature’s cycle of life.
    I admit I haven’t read the entire law but from what I know and understand I don’t think this is especially great legislation. California has sooo many problems and the legislature and governor are spending time on road kill legislation.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 10-17-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

8. Likes Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: New California law

Yep, looks like the new deer hunting weapon of choice will be an old battered pickup truck. It’ll be a lot cheaper. Won’t need a hunting license, expensive guns and ammo and all the other equipment. Won’t even have to leave the nice warm cab of the truck other than to throw the carcass in the back of the truck. Another example of our brilliant legislature at work.
    The legislature and the gov. don't hunt or fish for sustenance in any case. I think they should concentrate on the illegal growers that are destroying the forests with their gardening practices and trash/poison left behind......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

10. Likes Taiki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    What are the coyotes and magpies and other scavengers gonna eat?

There has to be more to it that seeing a dead deer or antelope or elk or bear or jackrabbit or etc. on the side of the road and tossing it in the trunk of your Prius. LOL
    There may be some details way down deep in the law that has nothing to do with Road kill, havn't had time to look it up but i plan to. Maybe nothing to it but many times they throw in some
    EXTRA stuff.

20,000 Deer per year ? Wonder how accurate that is .

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the coyotes and magpies and other scavengers gonna eat?

There has to be more to it that seeing a dead deer or antelope or elk or bear or jackrabbit or etc. on the side of the road and tossing it in the trunk of your Prius. LOL
    Catch ya later ... hooks

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New California law

Yep, looks like the new deer hunting weapon of choice will be an old battered pickup truck. It’ll be a lot cheaper. Won’t need a hunting license, expensive guns and ammo and all the other equipment. Won’t even have to leave the nice warm cab of the truck other than to throw the carcass in the back of the truck. Another example of our brilliant legislature at work.
    If you read that they estimate 20000 deer get hit by cars each year it’s probably a good idea to harvest the meat that’s not damaged rather than waste it. I really doubt most people wouldn’t risk damaging their car or lives by purposely hitting big game animals. I don’t think this is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jjb; 10-17-2019 at 08:34 AM.

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in Alaska we where on the road kill list. Got a call one winter night at -30. We grabbed a Sawzall and chainsaw and headed out. We got to the site cut it up and took it home. Had to put it in the basement to thaw out. Anything blood shot was cut off, and given to some sled dog owners. They mention in the article that the meat could get contaminated by glass, metal ect. Well that's not a issue as any of that entering the meat would produce blood shot the same as bullet fragments. Now I might be hesitant to recover a deer in hot weather unless I was there at the time of the collision or shortly after, no different than a August deer, or lope as far as care goes.

18. Likes jjb, Jetspray, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Waterdog; 10-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast