Post Thanks / Like

Re: thoughts on inflatable boats for general fishing use

Quote Originally Posted by Markj2k4 View Post
    So I have been scratching together some cash to get us a boat - currently we do not have one. We do a variety of fishing from ocean, river and sierra lakes. I have been toying with the idea of an inflatable as storage is a little bit limited at our house in terms of sliding a trailer in the driveway, I might be able to pull it off on the cheaper end of the spectrum and it could potentially do most of our needs o.k. We have tried twice to use our 3 person jet ski at the lake for jetting out to fishing spots and for float fishing and it's pretty miserable.

There's a lot chatter here about various boats and setups but not much noise about folks in inflatables. Any one have any burning opinions one way or another.

For what it's worth, I am trying to steer away from a tiny tender and land in something more like a futura or other 11'+ boat so if we do end up fair weather ocean going - we stand half a chance of being comfortable and being able to actually get out there.
    What about a porta-bote? I know it sounds crazy, but I have one and they are very stable. You just have to get used to the flexable hull. I have one and have been happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by untalan1 View Post
    If your really serious about buying an inflatable I might be interested in selling my achilles. Pm me
    Thanks! Sent you a PM (apparently two... oops). :)

Post Thanks / Like

If your really serious about buying an inflatable I might be interested in selling my achilles. Pm me

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, more input than I actually expected! I should clarify - I would love to be a big spender on this but realistically my budget will be <3000 cash which i'm putting together from liquidating extra crap around the house. I don't really want to take out a loan right now for a boat. Towing isn't an issue other than when we go to the high sierras we are already towing ski(s).

I am super excited to get out there on a boat, fishing has been a one of hobbies my wife and I share together and it's a way for her to connect spiritually with her father as he was an avid fisherman before he passed - she has been using a lot of his gear and lures getting into the sport. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Markj2k4; 10-25-2019 at 06:31 PM.

6. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: thoughts on inflatable boats for general fishing use

I had 14' Achilles for years diving and some inshore fishing. I had a 25hp Jonny 2 stroke motor on it and seemed about right with enough power to get thru the surf with 3 guys and dive gear, a 15hp doesn't get you on plane unless your alone and not much gear and wt. Slow as hell. We would beach launch at Anchor Bay campground and run down to Gualala and ab dive, about 3 miles. Running back into the wind it would pound worst then my 14' Klamath in the same conditions. Fishing inshore and some lake fishing during the summer it was doable, but you always get everything laying under foot, nowhere to store anything and hard to get comfortable after a few hours when trolling. For the same size boat and more practical if your fishing and not beach launching would be a 13' Whaler. Even at 13' it will do anything you want from Ocean fishing, crabbing to high sierra lakes. More storage, more room, wont sink, easy to launch and tow, stable even with 3 guys. I dive out of my 15' BW and love it more then my blow up boat that I had, night and day difference. My buddy has the 13' and we have had it past Salmon Creek out of Bodega crabbing. These little BW's are badass little war wagons to fish out of, my .02,,,gregg

8. Likes SteelyMan, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your going to have more than 1 maybe 2 people, forget it.
    You can get a decent older fiberglass runabout cheap.
    I would say don't waste your money .

My 2 cents.

10. Likes wckid, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Sea Eagle and the Zodiac model inflatables. Both are high quality. I have experience with Sea Eagle boats and can say they are top of the line quality boats. I have a Sea Eagle 350fx kayak and it is super high quality, almost indestructible, rated for class 4 rivers, will hold 600 lbs.
    Check out Sea Eagle 14 sport runabout. It can handle up to 40hp outboard and carry up to 2000lbs. It has an inside inflatable floor that when inflated is hard as concrete, and is solid if you want to stand. Sea Eagle has some nice electric pumps you hookup to your car battery. Inflates it quickly, no sweat.
    Inflatables are tough as can be, unsinkable but in choppy water you will get wet. Check them out.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by untalan1 View Post
    I bought an 14' achilles inflatable that i've owned bought new since 1982. I've use it to fish salmon and rock cod out in the ocean and beach launch through the surf in Pacifica halibut and sturgeon in SF bay and trout fishing in the sierras and Pyramid lake in Nv when weather permits.I still have this boat today and still use it.Very sea worthy light to handle by yourself and easy to store and don't need an expensive truck to tow those our my thoughts on having a inflatable for all around use.
    If space is limited just get a kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an 14' achilles inflatable that i've owned bought new since 1982. I've use it to fish salmon and rock cod out in the ocean and beach launch through the surf in Pacifica halibut and sturgeon in SF bay and trout fishing in the sierras and Pyramid lake in Nv when weather permits.I still have this boat today and still use it.Very sea worthy light to handle by yourself and easy to store and don't need an expensive truck to tow those our my thoughts on having a inflatable for all around use.

15. Likes zipperman, Markj2k4, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thoughts on inflatable boats for general fishing use

So I have been scratching together some cash to get us a boat - currently we do not have one. We do a variety of fishing from ocean, river and sierra lakes. I have been toying with the idea of an inflatable as storage is a little bit limited at our house in terms of sliding a trailer in the driveway, I might be able to pull it off on the cheaper end of the spectrum and it could potentially do most of our needs o.k. We have tried twice to use our 3 person jet ski at the lake for jetting out to fishing spots and for float fishing and it's pretty miserable.

There's a lot chatter here about various boats and setups but not much noise about folks in inflatables. Any one have any burning opinions one way or another.

For what it's worth, I am trying to steer away from a tiny tender and land in something more like a futura or other 11'+ boat so if we do end up fair weather ocean going - we stand half a chance of being comfortable and being able to actually get out there.
    Last edited by Markj2k4; 10-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.