Thread: Pyramid Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pyramid Weekend

Back in my early years, below Popcorn and Dago beach were the hot spots to go.

Then there was the Block house and then Warriors point............

I just think it comes down to where the food is and how the weather and wave action
    "Develops" the shore line and drop offs in the areas of the lake.

Lots of times the shore guys can't get to a drop off, so it is a "Dead area" until it is useable, again.
    I remember one year, with high water, that my fly line back casts were picking up sage brush at Popcorn.

Just have to scout out the areas to find the fishable areas and drop offs, if possible.

Boaters have it a little easier but there are good and bad places for them, alike......
    plus the worry about wind that the shore guys don't have to fear.....
    however getting knocked off of a ladder by a wave, is not a fun thing.

Post Thanks / Like

​Don't give up on Big Lures....LOL

pyramid 11-26-11 017.jpg
    Catch ya later ... hooks

3. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    It is an amazing lake. Glad you caught some nice fish. Those +24" from Hells Kitchen and Red Bay must be yours? Why only once a year?

They may very well have been.

Only once a year because I'm an idiot is the best answer. It's a three hour trip and just hard to get things planned in advance. I frequently talk about getting over more often, just doesn't seem to happen. It's certainly a worthy destination.

One of the fun things is trying to figure out what those fish won't eat. Years past I've thrown the biggest lures in the box at them. Caught several 17-18" fish on a K-16, and 10" AC Plug. This year after seeing a fish cough up 1" baitfish, I went to a kokanee micro hoochie and 2" grub. Caught my 10# on the grub, and several slot fish on the hoochie. Accidentally snagged one in the back, that I think was probably trying to eat the dodger. Thought we had the big one on for a while.

I need to dedicate a trip to just exploring different spots. Seems like the popular spots attract a lot of attention. I'm betting there are other areas to the south east that don't see much at all. Probably for good reason, but exploring is part of the fun.

You local guys have my envy.

5. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    It is an amazing lake. Glad you caught some nice fish. Those +24" from Hells Kitchen and Red Bay must be yours? Why only once a year?

you da man Don
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

7. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch ya later ... hooks

9. Likes Jetspray, MtnFisher, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pyramid Weekend

Thanks for the report, seems from what you say, there might have been a late hatch of chubs or bottom feeders. That side of the lake gets less pressure as it is closed to traffic. Great stuff too.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Pyramid Weekend

Made our annual Pyramid Lake trip this weekend. Fishing was tougher for us than in prior years but the quality of fish caught was awesome. Over three days and six guys we had three fish over 10 pounds and more than a dozen over 7 pounds.

We fished the the east side mostly. Jigging and trolling both. Had one slot fish spit out a dozen little bait fish in the net, several of which were still moving. They were all about 1” long. Started trolling the smallest grub I could find in the box behind a dodger and did fairly well, including a 10 pounder.

Also saw several big big fish chasing something on top. Had one splash the surface behind me and I thought it was a bird landing in the water. Turned around and saw it’s back out of the water and something swimming for its life a couple feet in front. Hard to tell how big it was, but guessing high teens or more. Spend some time throwing swim baits along the walls for no luck, but we caught several throwing spoons tight to the rocks.

Talked to several fly guys at the lodge. Sounded like they had a tough go of it. Weather was probably too nice. No wind and 60’s.

Got stopped at the check station leaving the reservation. Nice gals doing creel surveys and found tags in the head of two fish. Also got stopped at the Ag station in Truckee and had to fill out fish and game declarations. Good to see folks doing their jobs to keep folks honest and help the fishery.

Another great trip. That place is amazing.