Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe 11/9

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Tahoe 11/9

TahoeJeff, if I remember right, most Tahoe locals were for re-introducing cutts at Fallen Leaf since the lake was full of “rat macks” and a cutt fishery might do better. I even signed a petition in support of this at the Outdoorsmen.

The fishery changed, in support of the locals, but the outcomes have not lived up to peoples expectations. You can complain, do nothing and live with the current results or voice your opinion, ask questions to those who changed it and see what can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    attacking me
    I'm not attacking anyone.

Well, except maybe for the all the bureaucrats who thought it was a good idea to implement a half-baked plan to ruin a perfectly good fishery.

Honestly: What good is it going to do for Fallen Leaf Lake to ask 'them' why the Cutts remain stunted?
    Will they study it more? Waste even more tax payer $ trying to figure out where they went wrong?
    It's clear they should have just left the damn lake alone!!!

3. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you asked questions? Have you done your own research?

I find it very interesting that you are attacking me for asking the questions you as a local should be asking.

Post Thanks / Like

demanding answers
    That assumes that they have answers. I don't think they have a clue what is going on in there....

6. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Tahoe locals or Fallen Leaf lake community are not asking questions and demanding answers from the powers that be as to why Fallen Leaf is not being productive, that disrespect falls squarely on them.

Post Thanks / Like

locals should be concerned about what is really going on
    No disrespect Snowtrout, but how the hell are we going to figure out what is really going on?
    We know they have tried to eradicate the Macs, Browns and Bows. Were they successful? Who knows?
    Did they do it rather suspiciously? YES! Who are they? CA F&G & USWS for sure. Any other agencies involved behind the scenes?
    Yeah, one can search all the documents they put out. But those certainly don't really show the big picture.
    Were all their efforts worth it? Not by local angler standards!
    (If jjb does pull a hog Cutt out, I'll amend my remarks!)

9. Likes jjb, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Planted since 2002 according to this: https://www.fws.gov/lahontannfhc/doc...ACFAQfinal.pdf

MKE, you and other locals should be concerned about what is really going on if the forage is still present. If during the spawning period all you see are small skinny fish, the cutts are not growing even though minnows, crawfish, and baby cutts are all on the menu.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 11-13-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    The Tahoe redside shiner are in there but it takes all day to get a hundred minnows or so. 10 years ago it took an hour to have a full trap off any dock. There's still a lot with a ton of crawdads and that's what confuses us locals because we're still waiting for those big fish. It might have some to do with the lack of nutrients in that lake. We all know the pilots get big but are there 10 lb Cutthroat swimming around in Fallen Leaf Lake absolutely not and there should be by now. All you need to do is checkout the Weir in the spring and it's hundreds of the same skinny fish in plain sight year after year. They've been doing this since 2002. None of us understand why but every year we hope that those skinny little fish will grow up. If you don't believe me please prove me wrong and come up hear and catch a 24" cutt.
    Since 2002? I don’t think they even started to release pilot strain in pyramid 2002. If there’s pilot peak I’m sure they’re eating other trout. I’m just upgrading my trolling rig and I want to hit fallen leaf. I’m sure trolling big plugs will pull a big boy out of the depths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The Tahoe redside shiner are in there but it takes all day to get a hundred minnows or so. 10 years ago it took an hour to have a full trap off any dock. There's still a lot with a ton of crawdads and that's what confuses us locals because we're still waiting for those big fish. It might have some to do with the lack of nutrients in that lake. We all know the pilots get big but are there 10 lb Cutthroat swimming around in Fallen Leaf Lake absolutely not and there should be by now. All you need to do is checkout the Weir in the spring and it's hundreds of the same skinny fish in plain sight year after year. They've been doing this since 2002. None of us understand why but every year we hope that those skinny little fish will grow up. If you don't believe me please prove me wrong and come up hear and catch a 24" cutt.
    Last edited by MKE; 11-12-2019 at 09:17 PM.

13. Likes TahoeJeff1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MKE, very nice looking rainbow and great pic of the lake.

If the Tahoe redside minnows are still in abundance at Fallen Leaf, the cutts should have no problem growing, especially since they are the pilot peak strain. If that forage is now gone, then expect small fish. If the forage is there in numbers and the fish are still small, there is a different problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast