Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upper american river flows

Ok thanks for the replies. I guess crossing the river is out of the question then. Dont want to get stranded on the other side if the flows start to come up out of nowhere. Or suffer an even worse fate if the flows come up WHILE I'm crossing the river...

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryanv829 View Post
    So is there any rhyme or reason for the flow surges every day this month or are they simply at the whims of the powers that be

Yes there is. When Fred is on a Whiskey binge he normally passes out about 2:00 so the flows are stable for a few hours, but when he wakes up, he cranks up the flows to catch up. When Barney's on-shift, he likes to hear the hum of the power lines so it's a slow ramp up to full turbine power, plus his cousin's brother grows weed downstream, so they have to crank up the bypass for him.....

Sorry for the smart ass response. The rhyme and reason for flow changes can be hard to figure out, but there's a lot of effort and regulation that goes into them. Each of these rivers has a flow management plan, and they can be pretty complex. Hydro power is a big factor, as is Ag and Domestic water supply. They have minimum flow requirements, storage, recreation (rafting) flows, construction projects, even bay/delta saltwater intrusion requirements, which require they change flows and lake levels at times.

The Placer County Water Agency controls most of those sections. They went through a FERC relicensing, which generated a ton of information on their operations and plans if folks are interested in digging around.

All that said, I don't know what the planned flows are, but I'd start with PCWA. Good luck, there are some beautiful sections of water up that way.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a dam upstream from where you want to fish use this link to find the current outflow. Good luck.
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/misc/daily_res.html

5. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

7. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So is there any rhyme or reason for the flow surges every day this month or are they simply at the whims of the powers that be

Post Thanks / Like

last day for recreational releases this year was sept 29 so what gives?

I believe "recreational = rafting surges.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Upper american river flows

Just curious if there is any way to predict what the water releases will be like on any given day for the middle and south forks of the american river at this time of year. Looking at dream flows for the middle fork shows that the flows were minimal for the whole month of october, but starting in november they began to surge every day for several hours a day. It says that the last day for recreational releases this year was sept 29 so what gives? I want to start fishing this area more often but I dont want to put myself in a dangerous situation with rapidly rising water levels.