Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camanche 12-10 Limit

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Haven't been able to get out for awhile. Today everything aligned. Had a limit before 10 am. 15" to 19". I was trolling very shallow out through the narrows. I saw a few other boats working the same areas. I hope everyone did well.
    Thanks for the report comanche is my next trip.....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice trip and report. Glad to see folks use different gear and be successful. Old standbys work as well now as they ever have.

I've used both the in-line planer boards, and the separate mast and release style. They both have their places (Tahoe, top-lining big water, etc.) but they have their drawbacks too. The in-line are fairly easy to use, and a 20-30' setback is sufficient unless you need depth, but they put a big drag on the line fighting fish, which isn't much fun on smaller ones. The larger mast version are nice, but they require you keep moving and almost need a second person just to drive the boat and man the side-planer when you're fighting a fish. If you hang up a lure and need to back-up, you've got a 15 minute operation to get back fishing. They also foul if you get debris in the water, and the occasional bass boat has been know to find one the hard way. If I was using one, it would be in circumstances I'm looking for big wary fish, and I'd use a long setback (100-200')

You can accomplish "most" of the same things a side-planer does with long staggered setbacks in my opinion.

Congrats on a nice limit.

3. Likes Stickman, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    It all depends if you have planet boards that attached to your line like a seps or the big ones that have their own their line system after release. Way I like 60 or 70 feet. Kokemachine is the man the ask though.

I just use a 10 or 11ft rod as my outside rod.

Thanks!

I'm happy we are getting some rain, but I'm kind of a fair weather fisherman. Closely watching the rain forecasts for my next outing. I can't tell you how many dentist and other appts I've changed because they fall on a sunny day forecast. haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I guess I understood that. Just didn't think about it.

Side question -- when you do use planer boards for trolling near the surface, how much set back is typically used?
    It all depends if you have planet boards that attached to your line like a seps or the big ones that have their own their line system after release. Way I like 60 or 70 feet. Kokemachine is the man the ask though.

I just use a 10 or 11ft rod as my outside rod.

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    You dont need planer boards for grubs
    Thanks. I guess I understood that. Just didn't think about it.

Side question -- when you do use planer boards for trolling near the surface, how much set back is typically used?

Post Thanks / Like

I know those are the go to lures, but I didn't use either (neither?).

I don't have planer boards and can't really troll down much below 2.3 mph (and that is against the wind). So today I used a spinner hoochie (for 2) and a skirted Mepps Aglia (for 3 trout). I added a stinger hook trailing a 3" trout worm to the Mepps. They hit it pretty hard compared to the hoochie. It was pretty bright out. White/silver lures worked for me.

PS: I did see a few other boats using planer boards and I assume grubs.

You dont need planer boards for grubs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredagain View Post
    Very nice Ldubs. Were you using speedy shiners or grubs?

Rich
    I know those are the go to lures, but I didn't use either (neither?).

I don't have planer boards and can't really troll down much below 2.3 mph (and that is against the wind). So today I used a spinner hoochie (for 2) and a skirted Mepps Aglia (for 3 trout). I added a stinger hook trailing a 3" trout worm to the Mepps. They hit it pretty hard compared to the hoochie. It was pretty bright out. White/silver lures worked for me.

PS: I did see a few other boats using planer boards and I assume grubs.

10. Likes hooks, Stickman, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been able to get out for awhile. Today everything aligned. Had a limit before 10 am. 15" to 19". I was trolling very shallow out through the narrows. I saw a few other boats working the same areas. I hope everyone did well.

Very nice Ldubs. Were you using speedy shiners or grubs?

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Camanche 12-10 Limit

Attached Images Attached Images

14. Likes Hookem2004, hooks, Datster_2000, Paintguy liked this post