Thread: kicker

Post Thanks / Like

Re: kicker

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Merc 9.9 4 stroke kicker was run for perhaps half hour with choke out. Im told it stalled when he tried to adjust throttle. Could not get it started again. Still wont start (two days later). Ideas please? thanks
    Same question!
    Review on OutsideGuru.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. going to have it tuned.
    Great idea, if two engines are on the same line you may have to isolate each engine by putting a manual valve on each line going to each engine. Problem is that you can suck the fuel from an engine that is not running by running engine on and pulling fuel from the other engine until it quits due to air pulled from it. I had two engines hooked together at my fuel filter, I isolated them at the filter by installing a brass valve on each connection to each engine. My main engine picked up 200 rpm and my kicker never runs out of fuel (as well as the main...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

3. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually if an engine runs better with a choke on then there is a fuel restriction somewhere. Clogged filter, jets, etc. Also could be from a crack or bad seal somewhere in the fuel line. Primer bulb could be sucking air, loose fitting, or fuel line crack. Make sure the fuel line at the quick disconnect (at engine) is tight and seals right.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. going to have it tuned.

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know car engines especially carburetor engines. Not so much outboards but have done some work on them. But no matter what the engine shouldn’t run well or at all with the choke out. If it’s 3 years old and hasn’t been tuned then it definitely needs to be. The problem could be any number of things. I’d tune it, replace the plugs and fuel filter. I’d check for a vacuum leak. Check the carb floats they may be sticking. The carb may need to be rebuilt.
    The thing that stands out to me is that it was running normally with the choke out and when the engine was warm. Gave it throttle and it quit. That says the engine got too much fuel and not enough air when throttled up.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By adjust the throttle I mean he wanted to go faster, twisthing throttle control on tiller handle. He did not mention smoke or rough running. Fuel should have been ok, 3-4 mos old. Both motors run off main tank. Main ran fine. Last time I was in it both ran fine, probably October. Motor 3 years old. Never professionally serviced. Oil both upper/lower changed. Bulb was changed last year, seems fine, no cracks/leaks. thanks, again

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Something is wrong to begin with. Once the engine warmed up a little if the choke was still on/pulled out the engine should have died. If it didn’t die it should have barely run and been super rough and probably spewing smoke. Who tried to adjust the throttle? A mechanic? Why would anyone try to adjust the throttle with the choke out?
    Need a little more info. How old is the engine? Do you have maintenance records on it? When was it last tuned? How old is the fuel? Is it fresh or more than a year old? Have you checked the fuel filter? Replaced it? How was it running before the last time when it died?
    Last edited by Waterdog; 02-17-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

13. Likes Paintguy, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Merc 9.9 4 stroke kicker was run for perhaps half hour with choke out. Im told it stalled when he tried to adjust throttle. Could not get it started again. Still wont start (two days later). Ideas please? thanks
    Might be something with the linkage (don't know if you have a handle or auto controls myself). You might also look at the fuel filter if it has one inside (my Yamaha has one), or check the bulb and fuel lines (I had those go bad over the years)……….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

kicker

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post