Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panfish Tips and Descriptions...This will help you

I wouldn't worry about bluegill seeing your line or hook before you've checked your bait and presentation. If they're caught on specific bait a lot it's feasible that the big ones do indeed start ignoring it once they realize what it is. And if that bait isn't really on their regular menu in the first place (only used by fishermen) they might reject it.

Which baits have you tried? How do they compare to what others are using? I'd take a good look around for the bluegills' natural food sources in that lake (they're big, so clearly they are feeding!) and use that. Are there lot of water insects? Try nymphs and streamers. Are there bugs on top of the water? Try dry flies. (If you hear crickets chirping around the lake they're a sure bet!) Lots of frogs spawning in the spring time? Salmon eggs might be your best bet (try all colors - bluegill hunt mostly by sight, and just as with bass etc., the colors that work will change). If you see water snails, break one open and use the meat. Or... maybe try a bait that the fish have never seen before. If you don't see anybody using Berkley Crappie Nibbles give them a go.

Etc. pp. Anything is possible and nobody knows anything (my #1 rule for fishing :)), but I doubt that the bluegill are actively detecting your line or hook by sight, they're just checking out your bait and realize they're not interested. They might be cautious and quickly spit out your hook, though; get a good, sensitive pole float in the 0.2 to 0.5g range (not those round clip-ons!). Good pole floats are surprisingly impossible to find in America and this step might be optional for you, anyway. But if you search eBay.com for "Stipppose" (it's a German word for these type of floats) you'll at least see what I mean and might be able to find one.

Good luck! My favorite bluegill fishing gear are definitely ultralight rods with 2-4lbs line and small hooks. The Shakespeare Wild Trout Series rod (sold at all-in-one retailers like Big 5) is a great combo for $50 for this kinda fishing. Put some 2-4lbs fluorocarbon on it and you're in business.

Edit: I just saw you mention that gills are hitting the bait if it's just thrown into the water, but ignore it on a hook. The one big difference I would check against even then is that bait thrown into the water is moving and has a different presentation from bait presented statically on a hook. Crappie are notorious for (almost) exclusively hitting moving bait, and bigger bluegills can do the same. What happens if you freeline the bait and keep dropping it down? Can't really do that on a tiny Dock Demon-type rod, but a decent float rod (7+ft) will make it an option.

Quote Originally Posted by N00B View Post
    I picked up on fishing week ago started with 7ft medium rod then 6ft light rod then 2 ft toy rod and i like it even better for fishing bluegill by the shore. I fish in Los Angeles artificial lakes right now.

Sight fishing bluegill by the shore about 1-2ft from surface is easy just casting any bait on the hook into the school gets instant bites from small (dumb) species in seconds, however bigger species of bluegill behave differently.

They would rush to eat bait i free drop into water, however when i follow up with hooked version they rush to it, come close almost at the bite distance and then instantly swim away, i even tried smallest hook i have and covered it completely with meat, still same reaction, it must be the line they see, thinking on using 0.5lb mono versus 4lb i am currently use.

Problem here is that big blue gill species in artificial lakes by the tame they mature are "trained" to avoid hooks by people who constantly catch them and release throughout their lifetime (same problem for bass in that lake), so fish gets too cautious.

Any advice on how to catch this big "smarter" bluegills?
    Last edited by Drakestar; 07-08-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up on fishing week ago started with 7ft medium rod then 6ft light rod then 2 ft toy rod and i like it even better for fishing bluegill by the shore. I fish in Los Angeles artificial lakes right now.

Sight fishing bluegill by the shore about 1-2ft from surface is easy just casting any bait on the hook into the school gets instant bites from small (dumb) species in seconds, however bigger species of bluegill behave differently.

They would rush to eat bait i free drop into water, however when i follow up with hooked version they rush to it, come close almost at the bite distance and then instantly swim away, i even tried smallest hook i have and covered it completely with meat, still same reaction, it must be the line they see, thinking on using 0.5lb mono versus 4lb i am currently use.

Problem here is that big blue gill species in artificial lakes by the tame they mature are "trained" to avoid hooks by people who constantly catch them and release throughout their lifetime (same problem for bass in that lake), so fish gets too cautious.

Any advice on how to catch this big "smarter" bluegills?
    Last edited by N00B; 07-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lmfao yea i almost said him and his petroglyph ' s. Lol
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    This post is 8 years old and not sure GONE FISHIN is still around. And This thread is almost as old as RNP.
    Hey now! At least its not as old as CRABBY! We'd be reading hieroglyphics.

~RNP

Post Thanks / Like

This post is 8 years old and not sure GONE FISHIN is still around. And This thread is almost as old as RNP.
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panfish Tips and Descriptions...This will help

Quote Originally Posted by _Gone_Fishin_ View Post
    I was trout fishing off the bank at Lake Del Valle Saturday 6/16. Along with two trout I ended up catching two redear sunfish on my nightcrawlers. Panfish is right they are HUGE at Del Valle. :D
    This is the Georgia sunfish that regularly goes to a pound right?

Post Thanks / Like

this looks great, gonna spend some time checking this out, like to read about new to me methods for panfish, love chasing the little buggers,

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some lures that I have used...........

good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

bump, just cause it's so dang worthy
    "Everyone has to believe in something. I believe if I can touch them they are real"

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of his great posts! Thanks for sharing. He wrote that up after becoming mod of the panfish board.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast