Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie says "Hello" and needs advice

welcome to the boards just go back and read some old post you will find a lot of info

Post Thanks / Like

If your banking it on the Stanislaus, try the dog pound in Oakdale, I've pulled out some nice stripers out there before, some out of towner pulled two 40+ pound fish on two consecutive days 2 years ago from that spot, lucky *******! The only thing is that the run on that river is pretty weak compared to other spots, the fall run gets started on the river right about now! Right when the river closes . Seen some nice schools when cruising the river on off season.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for one day, teach a man to fish and he takes all your fish!

Post Thanks / Like

There a few resident stripes in a few holes here and there. But as far as the "run" witch is nothing like the Sacramento, San Joaquin, or the Moklume, is around when things frost over. If you scratch around on the web "stanislaus river striper" you'll see some 30+lb fish. Its far from shooting fish in a barrel, but its possible to land a nice fish, its good at mchenry rec. I'm in boat so ill note bank access when it opens back up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassboy209 View Post
    ,and when it opens back up the stanislaus river right here on our back yard.
    Thanks Bassboy! When do the stripers reach the our town and where do you fish for them at? Appreciate the info. Would love to catch close to home.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

i'm a striper junkie, but bait it not really my thing. I prefer topwater and swimbaits. however, When there used to be a striper population worth a damn in Camp Far West i caught a few on live bluegills. just gotta find em and catch em.
    I saw a fish once...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Thanks Bass Fishin and all...
    I have never even seen mudsuckers. Where do you get them? I didn't see them at the bait shop in Manteca today.
    Also, all I know of Sherman is what I've seen on Google Earth. Where exactly do you fish from?
    Thank you,
    i dont know where my friend was fishing at, i only know that it was at sherman island. as far as mud suckers go, some bait shops do sell them at about 2 bucks a pop. you can also catch them at sherman island. just use a small hook (size 4-8) with a piece of worm and weight. you can google "mudsucker picture" and its image will pop up so you will know how it looks when you catch 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the sniffer. Im from riverbank too and you dont have to go to the delta to catch stripers. My favorite non delta places are mossdale,laird park (aka honor farm) got a 10lber there a couple week ago,and the ca. aqueduct(youtube it),and when it opens back up the stanislaus river right here on our back yard. bait I like is sardine and chovies. I like the sliding sinker rig, I only catch dinks on hi-lo not sayin others do mabye its just me hope it helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bass Fishin and all...
    I have never even seen mudsuckers. Where do you get them? I didn't see them at the bait shop in Manteca today.
    Also, all I know of Sherman is what I've seen on Google Earth. Where exactly do you fish from?
    Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board. I have a friend that fishes the Sherman island area on bank and says that's they're pulling out some good sized stripers. He uses the same set up as you with mudsuckers for bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Also try the High-Low surf leaders. They work well for stripers and is what i mostly use when using cut baits. Also try some swimbaits, Storm wild eyes in white/red and trout patterns. Cast away, good luck and welcome to the boards!
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast