Creme Lures Pro Staff woolybuggin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: South Fork American River/Salmon Falls bridge area (bank fishing)

didnt end up goin because of the wind, but ive heard great things about that area. from family also who dont have an issue catching trout up there in the winter you just need to know what your doing. even without catching fish it is still nice to hike a little ways and just enjoy the nature and scenery, plus i enjoy c&r anyways

Post Thanks / Like

That guy stream_guy i think fishes the forks, he catches big ones!!!!! Ask him.

Post Thanks / Like

It is Barbless, artificial, and C&R through April. The pools are shallow right now and the hike in my opinion is not worth the time.

Creme Lures Pro Staff woolybuggin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

would love some pointers, im headin up to salmon falls bridge in the morning prolly going to hike up a lil bit till it narrows. whats biting right now? what are you using

Post Thanks / Like

i do alot during those 3 seasons but i know how to catch fish in the winter. and i usually park at the end of an old dirt road. if you want some tips shoot me a pm.
    Airborne engineer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup03 View Post
    if im not wrong its only barbless artifitials right now and its catch and release. i fish the middle fork alot and ive had 10-15 fish days but the biggest we caught was 18" i drift night crawlers.
    Yeah the DFG's website states only barbless hooks and artificial lures can be used from Nov-April. Do you fish the M.F. during winter, or just the spring/summer/fall? I'm itching to fish but I've never done any winter fishing. Do you mind if i ask where you park? I assume either by HWY 49 or along Forest Hill Rd...

Post Thanks / Like

if im not wrong its only barbless artifitials right now and its catch and release. i fish the middle fork alot and ive had 10-15 fish days but the biggest we caught was 18" i drift night crawlers.
    Airborne engineer!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question South Fork American River/Salmon Falls bridge area (bank fishing)

rainbow.jpg

I fish mainly on the south fork of the American River near Coloma. I seem to get hits in this area because it's more of a creek setting versus a deep running river like the south fork of the A.R. near Salmon Falls bridge. I've fished near the Salmon Falls bridge area and have seen big 17-22"+ trout follow my bait but have only caught minnows, even when I hide behind rocks and creep up on them. I don't know why it's so hard for me to catch decent sized fish downstream of where I catch them in Coloma and the only reason I want to go downstream is because it's a bit of a hike to all the spots I go to now. I would really like the advice of a person who has caught trout in the Salmon Falls Area; from what bait you used and what season/time of day you went.

Late Spring/Summer/Early Fall (near Salmon Falls Bridge)
    Spring - The water is super high during this time of the year but I see a lot of fish on the surface hiding under floating logs/leaves/brush etc. I fish mornings/evenings and see fish on the surface but they hid under large floating masses and it's hard to cast without tangling with some kind branch or something.
    Summer - I really think it should be easier to catch these fish during the summer! There feeding all over the surface in the early evening and you can see pretty big sized fish jump but never have had any luck.
    Early Fall - The water is still pretty high but it's declining. There is still some jumping action at the surface, but over time I've seen many people fish here and I've literally
    only seen one person catch a small mouth about 20-30' downstream of the Salmon Falls bridge! I've caught minnows but the big trout are really spooked!

Late Fall/Winter/Early Spring (near Salmon Falls bridge)
    I'm going to lump all these into one and say the water is low to really low. As of January 9th, 2011 the water by the Salmon Falls bridge is so low you can see the riffles formed by the rocks below and even some of the gravel-size rock that forms the river's bottom! This area looks A LOT like the area I fish in Coloma but it's a different time of year and I don't fish creeks/streams during the winter; mostly spring/summer/fall. Would the fish still be in places they would be in the warmer months (where the riffles meat the calm, smooth pools, deeper pools after miniature water falls, etc), or do the migrate to Folsom Lake during the winter?

Thanks