Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fordyce

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fordyce

With the condition of the access road, is Fordyce ever stocked? If it's not with any regularity, it's definitely well known enough that the fishing doesn't seem like it would be very good. Unless it sustains a population of brookies.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked with Nevada Co. Forestry Service representative concerning outboard motors on Lake Fordyce. I spoke with Patty who stated the Nevada Co. Sheriffs govern the lake usage/laws. Outboard Motors are allowed on this lake with a speed limit restriction of 10 MPH. I haven't been back to the lake yet but before the weather turns I hope to try this lake again.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a late October trip into there abt 6-7 yrs ago. I was the only one on the lake. I launched my mini boat from an access point, dirt road near the dam. After 4 hrs of trolling on an electric motor I picked up a 12 inch cutt on a needlefish tipped with a crawler. Hooked cleanly through the lip, released without him leaving the water. I figured whatever cutts remain in there need all the help they can get. Since fishing was dead on the lake, I checked out the outflow creek. It looked promising, but I didn't have time to get downstream as far as I would have liked, as daylight was fading, and I wanted to make it out of there with a bit of daylight left to navigate the road. Since fishing was so poor, never made a return trip, although the area is beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Waterdog, I just Google mapped Sterling Lake and I see in the back an access road. Thanks for the insight. I've hunted that area also in the early 70's and again in the 80's. But never brought out a buck, just tired feet.

Here is a picture of the Fordyce Dam to give you an idea where the water level is at in early August.

Fordyce Dam 2014.jpg
    Last edited by Mark57; 08-22-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeh I remember that road. The worst was one time deer hunting I camped by Fordyce . It snowed that night and was snowing the next morning. We decided it was time to get the H out of there while we still could. It was one slipping sliding scary ride out.
    If you know how to get into the back side of Sterling you could get a boat into the water
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we did go to Sterling Lake andwalked around the shore line (left side, opposite the Scout Lodges).This lake also looks pristine, unfortunately they blocked the accessroad down to the lake for boat launch with vehicle. You will have tocarry, drag, kick your boat down to the water. About 200 yards, thenrepeat the process bringing the boat back up the steep hillside(YIKES). Had a couple small trout follow the lures up but no bites.Here is a photo of the road to Fordyce.

. untitled.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Love that area. Still haven't been up there for years. Did you check out lake Sterling? What did that look like? I used to both deer hunt and fish that area. Sounds like the road into Fordyce is still ugly, probably nothing has been done to it in over 20 years. When you go back let us know how you do. Post some pictures, even like to see what the road looks. Also as far as I know motors are not allowed on both Sterling and Fordyce.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Was on Fordyce Lake August 11, 2014, no hook ups. Read in a recreation book that motors were prohibited on lake. (But when we got to the lake there was a boat with a motor on the lake and no signs prohibiting motorized boats). So we ( I )rowed around the Damn area with no luck. Then again I was preoccupiedwith my brothers stress of getting out over the rough road we came in on. He had just bought a 2015 F-150 4X4, for a ludicrous amount of money. It bounced across the rocks a few times (yes I laughed my butt off) my brother was not entertained at all. Well, we cut our fishingtrip short and headed up this rough road bouncing spinning tires and sweating (my brother that is, if it was my truck believe me he wouldbe laughing and joking). We made it out with a little Fordyce road customization under the truck and running boards. Which he blamed me, said I talked him into this adventure, LMAO! Well I have my tow hitch on my 73 Land cruiser and hopefully next week I’ll report back on this lake. By the way the lake looked good.
    Last edited by Mark57; 08-20-2014 at 08:57 AM.

9. Likes Trickytrucker, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a picture of my "trophy" but it was a brook trout. They are very easy to ID. The friend I went camping with fished Sterling earlier in the year and did pretty well drifting minnows that he caught there at the lake using traps.

Post Thanks / Like

Sterling I've tried once. Saw some surface but didnt catch anything. 4x4 in some places to get to Fordyce. Becareful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast