Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fordyce

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fordyce

Closed for 5 years? That must some maintenance project. When ever they open it I hope they plant it. Don’t think it was planted in many years. Don’t think they plant Sterling either which is less than 1/2 mile away. Absolutely gorgeous area.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

There at it again! Lake Fordyce is drained to 15 feet of water on the dam, PG&E is doing maintenance on the Fordyce Dam. The lake is closed to the public until 2024. : (

3. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I haven't been there in years. Use to catch some big bows and browns there but that was a long time ago. I am planning a overnight up to Sterling and Fordyce just cause that area is so beautiful. Anyone know if there are any catchable trout in Sterling? I assume they don't plant either Sterling or Fordyce.
    I have never caught any brookies Fordyce .
    Another question - is the road into Fordyce still pretty rough? I assume I will put my 4x4 to good use
    Getting in there.
    Waterdog- A friend I worked with fished that lake YEARS ago and caught monster browns dodgers and red worms. Beautiful area.

5. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Monkeybear10plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark57 View Post
    When you go there Waterdog use an inflated nightcrawler behind flashers. You won't be disappointed!
    Not much fish there. Best to try elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

When you go there Waterdog use an inflated nightcrawler behind flashers. You won't be disappointed!

8. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report on Fordyce. Fordyce and Sterling are just drop dead gorgeous. I keep saying I'm going up there but just haven't got around to it. I may try next week. I've a lot of great memories of that area fishing, deer hunting and hiking. The road from Fordyce is baaaaad. You are fortunate you made it out without 4x4 working. One time deer hunting there we got an early snow. Getting back up that snow covered road even with 4x4 and a winch was a challenge.
    Anyone who wants to go should do it this week because I think D3 deer season there open next weekend. That area becomes a zoo during the first week or so of the season.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

10. Likes Mark57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMG_38941.jpgTo say Fordyce Lake access road is better driven by a 4X4 is an understatement. I went in with my T-100 Toyota 4X4 newly rebuilt engine excited to be on this lake again with my 13 year old grandson. Did good on the lake catching 3 cutthroat's we were stoked! But, on the way out found my 4X4 wasn't engaging. So we had to make several accelerated runs up the road with rear tires spinning trying to bounce the front end over the rocks. Finely made it out with my grandson's eyes as big as saucers and his vocabulary expanded in a way his mother wouldn't approve, lol. Found my mechanic neglected to hook up the vacuum actuator line to my intake manifold. I purchased a new set of tires that next week as my rear tires were shredded. Well worth the memories!
    Last edited by Mark57; 09-15-2017 at 11:05 AM.

12. Likes Yearroundfisherman, CDK, Waterdog, Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMG_0909.jpgToo Sterling Lake is no problem, being it's adjacent to a Scout camp I'm sure it's planted. Fordyce on the other hand is ruff, a gentleman with a jeep Cherokee asked that I follow him out of Fordyce for his comfort I did. He scraped his under carriage a bit but he made it. Out at the main road he exclaimed "I don't think I'll go down to Fordyce again." But as you said it's a beautiful lake. I just bought a hummingbird 140, portable fish finder ill take up my next trip. There has to be a spot where the fish lay in that lake!

If you go I'd like to hear of your trip, Good Luck!

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been to Fordyce for quite awhile. Both Fordyce and lake Sterling are gorgeous mountain lakes. I need to make a trip there just to enjoy the beauty and of course do a little fishing. I am sure neither lake has been planted for many years. I use to deer hunt and fish that area and was pretty familiar with it. I think I will make a trip up there the first part of Sept.
    The road into Fordyce from Sterling was always a lousy rutted road best for 4wd. How is the road currently? I have 4wd but would like to know what to expect. Also do you think there are any trout left in Sterling?

Post Thanks / Like

Was on Fordyce lake August 10, 2016, the lake is full and beautiful. But no hook ups on the lake. Went to where the water feeds into the lake from a 20 foot (or so) drop and found some nice pools that had a lot of pan size brooks hungry for attention. There was a gentleman on the lake with a fish locator and said he only seen a few fish in the lake. He caught one but it was also pan size 7 inches. The fish he seen on his locator were by the rock wall next to the damn. I forgot to inquire how deep they were. Any one else have any input on this lake?

17. Likes fish-on! liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast