Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I doing this right?

well i know how frustrating it can be. you didn't mention what kind of bait you use. If you use sardines or anchovies you might want to shorten your leader. if you are fishing from the bank its hard to tekk how much your bait is spinning. a shorter lesder say 2.5 to 3' might cut down on the spin. spin is good but not to much. you have to wrap you bait tight to the leader so it does't make those big spins that collect debree. if you know how to send a private message to the emails i can go over it further, i don't think i know how but ill try.

buzzard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    A 5" hollow belly swimbait or fishtrap on a 3/4oz head.
    Got a few and I love the action on them! Caught this lil guy yesterday on some anchovie..I think they're coming...

IMG_20120415_182438.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

A 5" hollow belly swimbait or fishtrap on a 3/4oz head.

Post Thanks / Like

Been out almost every other day on both the DWC and the Sac River at end of Marshall in West Sac or Davis Rd...haven't caught anything but the trash I pick up. Been using pile worms and cuts of anchovie. I guess I need to try some top water lures, cuz I've seen them striper jumpin for things. Any recommendations for some other baits to try?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Am I doing this right?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkdaShark19 View Post

Tying an egg loop - YouTube

This is the video I watched and learned from. I prefer to use this knot over thread just because 1. it works just as well as thread if not better, 2. it saves you money in the long run. I prefer to use 3/0 or 4/0 hooks for Stripers btw.

Tie on leader with hook to swivel and your good to go. Sardines are always great Stripers and Cats love em. Chicken liver to me is a great catfish bait. Yes Stripers do hit it even now and then, but I would never actually target stripers with chicken liver.
    Thanks for the tip! I usually use that knot when fishing for Steelys on the AR when using Roe. I'll give it a go with the striper.

Senior Member Sac/Striper/Slayer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lamar2626 View Post
    Oh ya, and dont cast out as far as you can. The best spot to keep your bait is right on top of the dropoff. Maybe someone can chime in on this but as far as i know i havent had any luck off the dropoff with cut bait except for catfish.
    i prefer to cast about 10 to 15' past the dropoff but when the tide is up i cast topwaters along the shore either direction right on top off the dropoff. when the tide is down all the way at the spot where i fish the DWC it goes all the way down to the dropoff and then i cast about 30' out. 30 to 40' total depending on where the tide is is about all i cast with the best luck. it may be different over in the port since i believe the drop off is a lot farther out then the DWC so i am not sure about that as i never fish over there, just the DWC
    The way to a man's heart is through his fly!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ya, and dont cast out as far as you can. The best spot to keep your bait is right on top of the dropoff. Maybe someone can chime in on this but as far as i know i havent had any luck off the dropoff with cut bait except for catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Tides are very important. People have varying opinions and fish can be caught anytime.. but most peopkle the best luck when the tide is moving because the bait fish are moving. Here is a link i use to check tides.

Tide Tables for Sacramento

Senior Member Sac/Striper/Slayer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree that i catch more and larger striper at night. i usually fish from a few hours before dark until around midnight. between midnight and 2 am the bite really slows.

as long as you know where the drop off is it isnt a problem. i never have problems with it as long as you are careful.

i also love the sliders for the sinkers. makes changing weights easy and sometimes the metal eye loop on the weights can damage your line if it has a rough surface. i also like a bead in the front and back of the slider.
    The way to a man's heart is through his fly!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a long accepted theory that stripers are nocturnal feeders, for the most part. Doods on the east coast are keen on the night bite, while out here, not as much. However, the guys who fish the night end up with toads....TOADS. Most of the fish that I've seen over the years that breach the 30lb + mark have come at night. That said, they obvioulsy feed at all times of the day, and there are numerous triggers (opportunity, current, etc).

I find the transitional times (dawn/dusk) to be very productive, not to mention it being a wonderful time to be on the water. I love watching what nature does in prepartion for the "daily changes." Indeed, the sun is mother natures clock, as reliable as any rolex on the market, lol.

If you're keen on topwater fishing (the holy grail of striper fishin, imo) those transitional times are your high probability times. But like every rule, there will be times to break it. Overcast days, in my opinon, are the best times for all day striper action, even on TW....downright amazing at times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast