Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: whats the best round baitcasting reel???

Reel guys fish with 6501's I use exclusivly. trolling but not casting

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to chime in but the Abu answer has been covered, great reels. I've caught salmon, stripers, halibut, lings, rockfish, black bass and lost a nice WSB on my 6501 (lh) and I still use it yearly.

Post Thanks / Like

KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel – No. 1 Rated Conventional Reel
    Some important Features of KastKing Rover Round Baitcasting Reel are:

• BULLETPROOF - All NEW and improved for 2016! The hot RXA reel just became hotter. The new KastKing Rover round baitcasting reel has reinforced hard anodized aluminum side plates and spool, precision machined brass gears, all alloy flawless level wind, industry-first stainless steel worm gear, stainless steel shaft and other components for superior corrosion protection.

• POWERFUL - You will love the stronger and more powerful KastKing Rover round baitcasting reel with superior carbon fiber drag system. KastKing Rover (formerly RXA) now offers up to 20 LB / 9 KG of smooth drag, fatigue-reducing oversized non-slip EVA grips, line out clicker alarm, easy access thumb bar spool release (40-60 sizes) and the classic look you would expect of a round baitcasting fishing reel.

• SUPER SMOOTH - KastKing Rover reels have premium shielded stainless steel deep race ball bearings (6 + 1 BBs on Size 40 - 60, 4 + 1 BBs on 70 - 90) for smooth operation.

• VERSATILE - KastKing Rover is a perfect conventional reel for trolling, bottom fishing, and other techniques used in freshwater and saltwater (Size 40 - 60 with 2-pin centrifugal brake and good for casting). Anglers who want an affordable, dependable levelwind round baitcasting reel to add to their trolling reel fishing tackle will appreciate the low price and high quality of a KastKing Rover.

• FISH INTO THE FUTURE - KastKing Rover conventional reels are built with functionality, quality, and are built to last. KastKing Rover Series deliver fantastic design, power, and performance at an affordable price. FOR INDIVIDUAL MODEL SPECS, SUCH AS MAX DRAG AND LINE CAPACITY, PLEASE CHOOSE THE SPECIFIC MODEL SIZE TO VIEW.
    Last edited by alicewfalls; 11-12-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyHustle View Post
    I second this nomination. If I had one all-around baitcasting reel for the rest of my life, it would be one of these Abu's. The clicker, price, and build quality are fantastic.

5. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks snowtrout. my brother is going to wait for the calcutta 400 D series to come out then he'll get that one...
    The Luna 300 and the Calcutta 400 are nearly identical. The Luna does have the option of flipping the drag washer over to get you down to a free spool drag setting. I had mine worked over and I don't have to do that anymore.

The Calcutta B out of the box is a smoother reel than the Luna and the drag is much smoother and has a 17-1/2 lb drag max. The D only has a 10lb drag max but has other features that make up for it.

I own both the Luna 300 and the Calcutta 400B and I need another one. It will be the Calcutta but I don't know if it will be another B or a D.

They are pricey but if you're picky like I am you often need to pay more to get rid of the little things that bug you. I wonder if I can get the D in gold to match my Luna and B? Yes, that would bug me.. LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: whats the best round baitcasting reel???

Quote Originally Posted by goofy View Post
    my brother wants to buy a round baitcasting reel for soaking bait and also throwing lures. he wants it for fishing stripers/salmon. since he is a shore fisherman such as me, we like to keep it simple and not carry too much equipment. i understand that each reel has its own unique feature to it that makes it better than others either by throwing lures with it, soaking bait, line capacity, what species of fish, etc... need help to find an all around reel for the job since carrying 5 to 10 poles is too much when your fishing the shore. i know that some people may say there isnt an all around reel for such a job and it may be true but in the world of shore fishing, sometimes one rod and reel has to do it all. thanks.
    You might want to take a look at the Abu Garcia Alphamar 16 or 20. I got one a while back and so far it's a really nice reel. Sal

Post Thanks / Like

thank u for the input. my brother decided to go with the revo toro. its not a round reel but puts up great drag and is low profile. i myself would stay with abu round reels. for the price u cant beat it. people swear by shimano round reels but like u said its too damn expensive. but yeah your right some people are just in it to have the best gear. i want quality for the lowest price possible...

Quote Originally Posted by iggybabble View Post
    I've always felt that the Calcutta reels were overpriced! I think you pay too much for that gold exterior compared to one of the Abu 5000-6500 series. In terms of drag, gearing, durability the Abu reels have always been real solid. I've owned and fished a bunch of them, and always been more than satisfied. I've got one Calcutta, a 200 or 250 I believe? It's okay, fishes fine, looks flashy! It was a gift, I would not have paid that kind of money for the reel myself. If you want cast ability, and don't need a level wind, consider a Newell 220......
    Fishing isn't a hobby, fishing is who I am

Post Thanks / Like

I've always felt that the Calcutta reels were overpriced! I think you pay too much for that gold exterior compared to one of the Abu 5000-6500 series. In terms of drag, gearing, durability the Abu reels have always been real solid. I've owned and fished a bunch of them, and always been more than satisfied. I've got one Calcutta, a 200 or 250 I believe? It's okay, fishes fine, looks flashy! It was a gift, I would not have paid that kind of money for the reel myself. If you want cast ability, and don't need a level wind, consider a Newell 220......

Post Thanks / Like

thanks snowtrout. my brother is going to wait for the calcutta 400 D series to come out then he'll get that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    To answer your question, it all depends how much you want to spend and how you are going to use it. Around $100, the Abu Garcia c3 series is nice and there are lots of upgrades possible to make it a very nice reel. Around $200, the Daiwa Luna is great and really stands alone at this price point. Over $300, the Calcutta te or new Calcutta D are reels that are so smooth and powerful, you wonder how anyone can catch a fish on a Abu 6500 ;)

I have a super tuned Abu 5500 and 6500 and feel with the upgrades is better than a stock reel but lacks the smoothness and power of a Luna 300.
    Fishing isn't a hobby, fishing is who I am

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your question, it all depends how much you want to spend and how you are going to use it. Around $100, the Abu Garcia c3 series is nice and there are lots of upgrades possible to make it a very nice reel. Around $200, the Daiwa Luna is great and really stands alone at this price point. Over $300, the Calcutta te or new Calcutta D are reels that are so smooth and powerful, you wonder how anyone can catch a fish on a Abu 6500 ;)

I have a super tuned Abu 5500 and 6500 and feel with the upgrades is better than a stock reel but lacks the smoothness and power of a Luna 300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast