Rockfish General Information
There are over 50 different types of rockfish inhabiting the west coast.
Three to five shrimp flies are tied to a leader, usually 30# test, at about 8" intervals via short (4") drop lines,. A 1 pound cannonball sinker or a jigging bar is attached to the bottom of the rig. The rig is then jigged off the bottom as the boat drifts over rocky bottom. The shrimp flies are commonly baited with chunks of squid. Light tackle rockfishing is gaining is popularity with the most common setups featuring 8 to 10 pound test on small freshwater rods. Single jigging bars to 8 oz. And split tail scampi jigs are the most common lures.
Rockfish Articles & Reports
Written By: David Hurley,
The rockfish and crab action continues to be excellent in the Half Moon Bay area.
The Queen of Hearts out of Half Moon Bay Sport Fishing checked in with 32 limits of rockfish including 2 cabezon to 8 pounds to go with 5 lingcod to 13...read more ››
Written By: Dan Bacher,
“Lingcod are still biting like mad dogs off the Big Sur Coast,” reported Carol Jones of Kahuna Sportfishing.
The 20 anglers on the latest trip on the Kahuna landed 40 lingcod, 85 vermilion rockfish, 100 rockfish and 15 copper rockfish....read more ››
Written By: Dan Bacher,
The weather was not the best down at Point Sur along the Monterey County Coast on Sunday, November 10, but the lingcod fishing was still fantastic with the big one caught aboard the Kahuna going 23 pounds.
The 20 fishermen aboard the boat...read more ››
Tips & Tactics for Rockfish
Written By: Steve ‘Hippo’ Lau
Drop shotting for freshwater bass has been an especially deadly technique that has been practiced for a few years now, for which a growing...read more ››
Written By: Cal Kellogg
Just the other day I found myself setting on a deer stand on a ridge high in the Tahoe National Forest. The hunting was great except for...read more ››
Written By: Headwaters Fishing Team
What I experienced today was akin to courting a girl for months and upon meeting her family - oh my goodness; hot for sister! Big sister...read more ››
- Other than the offshore wing first thing in morning, and the lack of crab, it was another stellar day on the big blue with good friends and non stop...
Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:41:41 GMT
- Has anyone done any crabbing off the Pt Arena pier? Is it any good?
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:23:35 GMT
- Attachment 17954 (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/attachments/general-boating-saltwater-discussion/17954-2014-fishing-forecast-2013-recap-ucluelet-bc-june19-2-550.jpg)Attachment 17952...
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:45:44 GMT
- Took a co-worker out for some crab and shark action. Dropped the pots off at Kirby cove and then went for rock fish around the surrounding points....
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 23:10:04 GMT
- We'll be hitting Santa Cruz this weekend and after checking the tides, I learned that almost the entire day will consist of an outgoing tide. I...
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:34:53 GMT
Recent Reader's Photo
First fish I have ever caught via kayak on salt