PDA

View Full Version : making your own Hex Bar jig

joefisher
09-25-2006, 07:12 AM
I have seen and heard of people who make there own Hex bar jigs for Lings. Where could I go to find the bars in the sacramento area? Also, what lengths do the typically come in.

loose_goose
09-25-2006, 07:36 AM
My buddy Mark and I make our own bars....find some copper, aluminum, chrome or even a towel bar, get some lead weights from a tire shop, melt down ( be cafefull, do it outside, away from any moister, well ventelated area, stay away from fumes) fill stock with the lead, cut to lenth at 45 degree angle paint, decal, have fun with em

examples
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/jig_bars_001.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/jig_bars_002.jpg

way cheaper than the store and they work as good or I think there better

joefisher
09-25-2006, 08:18 AM
I like the looks of those jigs. You did a great job on them. I am guessing that is what keeps you occupied in the off season. There is a lot of detail on those. Thanks for the idea! :) That is a much better idea rather then paying $9 or so for a 14oz jig. Thanks again for the info.

loose_goose
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
joefisher, if you do decide to make some, I can't stress enough to be very carefull around water....I've had a couple of close calls....melted lead literly expodes if one drop of water gets in it, also it's very toxic. feel free to pm me for more info......it's fun to make your own stuff

The_Reel_Won
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
That might have been my post. Go to or surf the yellow pages for a metal shop that carries hex bars. 5/8 hex bar 20' long around 20 bucks. Cut both ends at a 45 deg drill two holes split rings large single hook or trebles if you like snagging the bottom lol Paint white or go wild. lol I cut mine same size as Wills in Bodega 7" long ..Real, easy fast, and cheap. Hey its just ling Cod lol Good luck bro

I have seen and heard of people who make there own Hex bar jigs for Lings. *Where could I go to find the bars in the sacramento area? *Also, what lengths do the typically come in. *

TSL
09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
stainless steel on ebay
you can get the bits and pieces cheap and stainless not only shines but has a good ring to it when banging rocks
it is hard to drill but i have torches and welders

TSL

clayton
09-26-2006, 06:14 AM
woo, this is my first ever for fishsniffer. but maybe a safer thing to use would be cement? I've seen people make their weights using cement for Texas shark fishing. and i was thinkin u can fill the copper pipes with that.

fishguts
09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
I was going to suggest adding some bb's instead so you get the weight, cap the ends and the bb's would rattle.

SLOfisher
09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I was going to suggest adding some bb's instead so you get the weight, cap the ends and the bb's would rattle.

Fisguts:

Now that sounds like a great idea, why didn't I think of that? I've been adding two, or three sliding egg sinkers (1oz) above the jig, hoping they might click together, but the BB's (or maybe 00 steel buckshot) should work great.

atavuss
09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
used to make my own out of chrome handlebars and old wheel weights. might be easier and safer to wedge and or pound the wheel weights into whatever you are using instead of melting it down.

joefisher
09-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I like the BB idea. I think I may try several of these ideas and see what works best. I kinda like the idea of 5/8" hex and maybe drilling the center a few inches at both ends and add BB's. Finish off with glow paint from the craft store.

I can see this could be fun experimenting with different designs. Thanks all for your input :).

fishenrick
09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
loose_goose those are some nice looking bars

fishguts
09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
If you decide to try it, how about tossing one my way. ;)

seaduck
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Another material that is easy to come by that works well is rebar you can get this in diffetent diameters so it is easy to make them up in different weights. The only hard part is the cutting and drilling holes without the proper tools.

fishguts
09-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Seaduck:
Thats a great idea also.